Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Try reading again. I wrote, "all". You'll find that it's not common practice when your home is kept at a good temperature.

Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
Dumbest? really? Babies are supposed to be dressed in a manner that an adult would find comfortable in order to avoid over- or under-dressing them. Do adults all sleep with multiple layers of covers on their arms? Of course not. A sleeveless sleep sack does not mean that their arms are uncovered. Babies wear something under the sack.

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla
I am an RN and I think that a SLEEVELESS sack to put a baby in is about the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Hands and arms get just as cold as feet and legs especially in very young babies who have a poorly developed circulatory system and very little subcutaneous fat to help keep them warm.

Buntings in days of yore covered everything but the babies face and if they turned their head, they could suffocate. Where will it all end? Let the parents decide based on good sense (seemingly lacking here) and what their OWN physician advises.
Yeah, I actually do sleep with multiple layers on my arms when it is cold. Sometimes I even sleep with not only my PJ's but with my thick robe to bed. When my extremities are warm... the rest of me keeps warm.
Sorry, but I do not have double paned windows and it is drafty where I live. Most of the heat goes right out the windows. I don't think having the heat on alllll night and day at a higher temp just to keep cozy is very cost efficient for me at my place. Maybe when I buy a house things will be different. Not sure that you can speak for every circumstance. It would also depend on what kind of place you live, and where you live to even know what COMMON PLACE would be. And I did read your post, I just did not agree with it. Especially since "I" am one of those that do sleep with multiple layers... reread my post, please. Think i will read on a different topic. No need for me to keep posting here.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Again, my language clearly did not try to speak for ALL people. I'm not sure if your misunderstanding is intentional. I very clearly expressed what is common IF your home is kept at a good temperature. That's generally defined as 68-72 degrees if you're a baby. That info comes from SIDS awareness literature, NICU nurses and physicians, and pediatricians. I don't need to reread anyone's post. I can read and understand just fine.

Try reading again. I wrote, "all". You'll find that it's not common practice when your home is kept at a good temperature.

Dumbest? really? Babies are supposed to be dressed in a manner that an adult would find comfortable in order to avoid over- or under-dressing them. Do adults all sleep with multiple layers of covers on their arms? Of course not. A sleeveless sleep sack does not mean that their arms are uncovered. Babies wear something under the sack.

I am an RN and I think that a SLEEVELESS sack to put a baby in is about the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Hands and arms get just as cold as feet and legs especially in very young babies who have a poorly developed circulatory system and very little subcutaneous fat to help keep them warm.

Buntings in days of yore covered everything but the babies face and if they turned their head, they could suffocate. Where will it all end? Let the parents decide based on good sense (seemingly lacking here) and what their OWN physician advises.
Yeah, I actually do sleep with multiple layers on my arms when it is cold. Sometimes I even sleep with not only my PJ's but with my thick robe to bed. When my extremities are warm... the rest of me keeps warm.
Sorry, but I do not have double paned windows and it is drafty where I live. Most of the heat goes right out the windows. I don't think having the heat on alllll night and day at a higher temp just to keep cozy is very cost efficient for me at my place. Maybe when I buy a house things will be different. Not sure that you can speak for every circumstance. It would also depend on what kind of place you live, and where you live to even know what COMMON PLACE would be. And I did read your post, I just did not agree with it. Especially since "I" am one of those that do sleep with multiple layers... reread my post, please. Think i will read on a different topic. No need for me to keep posting here.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM

I think that this is getting a bit heated (no pun intended) and the question should rightly be resolved by the parents with the advice of the physician that they trust. Can't this thread be dropped?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM

I agree with you blueheaven, the whole topic should just be canned.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Well, I had one of those wedgie things that kept them on their sides. I had a fear of them urping while on their backs and aspirating vomit. Not good. I made sure to switch which side they slept on so their heads wouldn't get deformed. I have seen so many babies with lopsided heads or heads that are extremely flat on the back from not changing the sleeping position. I also always swaddled until they didn't like that anymore. Then it was just a blanket over the lower half of them.
Right from the time I brought William home from the hospital he HATED sleeping on his back!!! I bought one of those wedges too and it was a God send!!!! I would change his positions through the night with each time he woke up through the night for a bottle. He slept in that thing til he started moving around more and would actually roll over the wedge onto the crib mattress!!! he still prefers sleeping on his side or tummy.

I also have a few little toy animals in the crib and have yet to have a problem (and he turns 1 on Friday). he loves to wake up in the morning and play and talk to them before I go in to change him into his play clothes and change his nappie!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 PM

My baby wears a sleeper under his bunting bag and he is snug as a bug and never overheated. i just went in to give him a bottle (very rare these nights as he normally sleeps through the night) but he was oh so cozy and his temperature is perfect.

But again each parent is different and knows what they think is best for their child.

Cheers
Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi

My baby wears a sleeper under his bunting bag and he is snug as a bug and never overheated. i just went in to give him a bottle (very rare these nights as he normally sleeps through the night) but he was oh so cozy and his temperature is perfect.

But again each parent is different and knows what they think is best for their child.

Cheers

oops... didn't read the rest of the thread.... topic dropped here too...

Cheers
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 PM

My rule for baby quilts is to 1: keep them small so the babe doesn't get tangled up in it.
2: keep it lightweight
3: machine quilt it so it will withstand a LOT of washing.
4: make sure absolutely every thread is secured
5: use a batting that has a very good rating for fire safety.
(some of the untreated organics, and some of the bamboo battings actually have a higher fire risk)
and 6: NO EMBELLISHMENTS like buttons, ribbons, toys, etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation. Have any of you made any "quilted bags" for a newborn to sleep in ie. that are like a bunting bag to keep the baby warm, but do not put the baby at risk?

I want to add something, so that you fellow quilters understand where I'm coming from - I love making baby quilts, and will keep on making them, and giving them as gifts. But as a new gramma-to-be, I am also conscious of the fact that the new guidelines encourage young moms to use sleeping sacks for the first year. I just wondered if anyone had made one using a pattern, and which one they used. Quilts I make will certain be used and loved, but probably not put on top of the baby when he/she is sleeping alone in his crib until he/she is a year old.
I certainly understand your concern. In the early sixties, I used a sack for my babies. In our area we have very few really cold days and nights. Mostly today the little quilts are used to lay the babies on when they are awake and playing.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation. Have any of you made any "quilted bags" for a newborn to sleep in ie. that are like a bunting bag to keep the baby warm, but do not put the baby at risk?

I want to add something, so that you fellow quilters understand where I'm coming from - I love making baby quilts, and will keep on making them, and giving them as gifts. But as a new gramma-to-be, I am also conscious of the fact that the new guidelines encourage young moms to use sleeping sacks for the first year. I just wondered if anyone had made one using a pattern, and which one they used. Quilts I make will certain be used and loved, but probably not put on top of the baby when he/she is sleeping alone in his crib until he/she is a year old.
I still make baby quilts so the mother can lay her baby on it when she wants to have it outside in the sun and fresh air. It is also big enough so that they can use it on their beds when they are older. I do understand how you would feel but I have not needed to worry so far. Mothers are careful people and they know when not to use the blankets on new born too early. Thanks for the information.