Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
My DIL was a stickler for no quilts in Olivia's crib until she turned one. I made her the sleep sacks out of fleece. The next year she had out grown them so I enlarged the arm holes and added more fleece to the botttom.
My children did not fare so well, they slept with blankets and quilts. They survived.
So, isn't fleece a lot softer and denser than the cotton we make quilts out of? If the fleece is wrapped around a baby, isn't it more likely to go over their mouths? I don't see the logic...someone please explain to me.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM

I have 2 young children 2 and 4. My grandmother has made several quilts for each of them. I have used them from day one. Then never layed under the quilt at night but on it. I would tuck it into the crib with the sheet. We used carters sleep sacks at night to keep them warm.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM

The sleep sacks fit around them snuggly in the neck and arms. They are not big enough for them to get out of. Here's a link of what they look like http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-4-Carters-Fl...-/270739069687
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
My DIL was a stickler for no quilts in Olivia's crib until she turned one. I made her the sleep sacks out of fleece. The next year she had out grown them so I enlarged the arm holes and added more fleece to the botttom.
My children did not fare so well, they slept with blankets and quilts. They survived.
So, isn't fleece a lot softer and denser than the cotton we make quilts out of? If the fleece is wrapped around a baby, isn't it more likely to go over their mouths? I don't see the logic...someone please explain to me.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 PM

We just called them "Blanket Sleepers", and my kids did sleep in them when they were babies, but I always put a blanket over them even with those on.

We were brought up very different than the "modern" ideas and dire warnings of injuries, and somehow we all survived, and so did our children. We didn't have 1/3 of the "safety" equipment that is used now, and we all survived it. I think all the over-cautiousness has only driven consumer product sales!! Sure, take reasonable precautions, but I think a lot of this is way over-hyped!!

Now "the experts" are saying that babies aren't learning to crawl because they aren't being put on their stomachs after all the super-hype about SIDS. We would put our kids on the floor on blankets on their stomachs with toys out of their reach so that they would scoot and try to get them. That's how they learned to move. We had to physically get down on the floor with my little grandaughter and work her arms and legs to teach her to crawl because my daughter wouldn't put her on her stomach!!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 PM

I've had several requests/ and made " cuddle sacks".... I assume this is simular to what you are talking about..
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by Ragann63
My kids even drank out of the water hose...for shame!
Oh heck I know there were some times we used the dog's water pail...because we weren't supposed to turn the hose on & Mom could hear it from in the house if we did & we would get in trouble.

**couldn't turn hose on because of previous "misuse" of the hose & the ensuing mess & fights between 3 kids.
Dating myself here, but there was a bucket and ladle on the back porch for anyone to use, Dad would fill it from the well (from the farm's windmill)every morning. There was well water in the house, too, but somehow the other water tasted better. Deeper well maybe?? It seemed to stay cool all day.
My great granddad had a large barrel at the end of the garage that collected rain water. We thought that was the greatest thing in the world to drink out of as kids!!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM

I am in this club to. Mine even slept on their tummies as we were told not to put them on their backs to sleep. How did our kids ever survive??
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 PM

I actually had more of a problem with the "sleepers" then i did just putting a blanket over them.

I know that Joanne's had a very basic pattern awhile back, I'll see if I still have it, if I do I'll post it!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by Ragann63
My kids even drank out of the water hose...for shame!
Oh heck I know there were some times we used the dog's water pail...because we weren't supposed to turn the hose on & Mom could hear it from in the house if we did & we would get in trouble.

**couldn't turn hose on because of previous "misuse" of the hose & the ensuing mess & fights between 3 kids.
Dating myself here, but there was a bucket and ladle on the back porch for anyone to use, Dad would fill it from the well (from the farm's windmill)every morning. There was well water in the house, too, but somehow the other water tasted better. Deeper well maybe?? It seemed to stay cool all day.
My in-laws had a pail of RAIN WATER from the cistern. A ladle was there for everyone to use.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM

[quote=northern quilter]I am in this club to. Mine even slept on their tummies as we were told not to put them on their backs to sleep. How did our kids ever survive??quote]

What's really interesting is that over on the East side of the world, I know specifically in Japan and China they do this, they tell mom's there to put the babes to sleep on the stomaches!