Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 AM

I, too, have read about the risk. I also read that as long as you place the quilt at waist length it is safe. My 6 1/2 month old grandaughter has used my quilts this way and there have been no problems. Just keep the quilt at waist length on them.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 AM

sorry, I goofed. the pattern I found for a sleep sack is http://projectsbyjess.blogspot.com/2...leep-sack.html
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown:
Mine three (smile)!
yep...me too. If anyone really knew the truth, we slept with our babies in our bed until they were 6 mos or so, then they would only start the night out in their own crib. We used a safety rail on my side of the bed, and never, ever entertained any fear that one of us would "roll" on top of them...just never occurred to us, as we were both so thrilled to have children that we didn't want them across the room, or in another room, sleeping. Seemed to us if an infant spent all that time being close to mom's heartbeat, he/she would keep breathing if he/she could still hear it.

Worked for us...10 babies later.......

Quilts, bumper pads..used them all. Can't argue with the results of the decline on SIDS...but don't know that I would change anything if I was having children today.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 AM

Gee, I wonder how we ever raised our kid without all these guidelines. I always used baby blankets to cover my baby while he was sleeping in a crib. But, I used the baby quilts to cover them when I carried them somewhere or to lay on in the floor. They are wonderful for that and I litterly wore all mine out that were given to me.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown:
Wow! Never mind our kids...how did WE ever survive infancy/childhood. A lot of us teethed on lead painted cribs :cry:
Not just lead based cribs, but cribs with bars too far apart, with sides that drop down for ease of taking a child out, with too soft mattresses, and bumper pads. Pretty soon they will suggest you not put your child in a crib anymore, but hold them while they sleep, lol!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by MZStitch

Wow! Never mind our kids...how did WE ever survive infancy/childhood. A lot of us teethed on lead painted cribs :cry:
Not just lead based cribs, but cribs with bars too far apart, with sides that drop down for ease of taking a child out, with too soft mattresses, and bumper pads. Pretty soon they will suggest you not put your child in a crib anymore, but hold them while they sleep, lol!
When we brought our son home from the hospital my father read the list of dos and don'ts and shook his head and said its a wonder I survived. Then his mother read them and said it was a wonder he survived! Common sense and plenty of love and care are the best recommendations :)
Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 AM

I also make quilts for babies. I always tell the mom's that this is a "throw the baby on the floor" quilt. To be used, abused, spit up on, peed on, and washed over and over again.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 AM

these are the guideline on the National Health Site for Mums in the Uk supported by the foundation for the study of Infant Deaths

Safe sleep

Putting your baby to sleep in the right way can help to prevent cot death. Following a campaign to let parents know how to reduce the risks, the number of deaths has dropped by 75%.

Follow the advice below and, for more information, call the Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths

* Always lay your baby to sleep on their back (not their front or their side) with their feet at the bottom of the cot, so that they can’t wriggle down under the covers.
* Don't let your baby get too hot. Keep your baby’s head uncovered, and use cot sheets and cot blankets so that you can easily add or take away a layer.
* Don’t use quilts or duvets for babies younger than 12 months because they can cause overheating.
* Keep mobiles and toys with strings or ribbons out of reach.
* Keep your baby’s cot in your room for the first six months.
* Never sleep with your baby on a sofa or armchair.
* Always take off your baby's outdoor clothes when you come indoors.
* Don’t let anyone smoke in the same room as your baby.
* Don't share a bed with your baby if you've been drinking alcohol, taking drugs or you're a smoker.

......I have made a few cot quilts and am now giving them as presents for when the baby is a year old which seems to be just as appreciated if not more so.....they get so many gifts as new borns....also the advice on Duvets is not to be above 4.0 tog but I don't know how this relates with cotton batting that is used inside.
I still think most people love a quilt and will use it as a play mat until they think it safe to put in the cot

......should also say wonder how mine survived too....the pressures on new mums is immense.....thank goodness mine are all grown up
Old 04-25-2011, 04:46 AM

I'm with all of you!! How did my children survive? My dd also put her "blankie" over her head. And to this day still does.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 AM

Wow! Never mind our kids...how did WE ever survive infancy/childhood. A lot of us teethed on lead painted
cribs :cry:
Really I don't know how we grew up with all the dangerous stuff we had in our homes.

I have a sad story to tell the first baby quit I made ( I posted a picture here) the baby died at 5 months old not in her crib but on mom and dads bed. So one just never knows does one? We made it our kids made it doing things the old way.
I have made something called a swaddle legs no arms but fabric to wrap around and keep them tight it has a hood have made 2 of them and the mom's just love them and baby to.