Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown:
Mine three (smile)!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 PM

My 2 year old has just started sleeping with a 48x60 "fleece" blanket within the last couple of months. He always had a flannel recieving blanket (45x45) before that. However he sleeps ON it instead of under it.

I am a young mother and a quilter. My children did not sleep with quilts however I still made them for them. There are so many other ways to use a quilt rather than just covering them up in bed. I also made all their recieving blankets because you can't (hardly) buy them in the store big enough to swaddle!

If you are worried about risks of SIDS from things being in the crib pay attention to what your using to make the sleep sacks, OVERHEATING is also a "risk" for SIDS!
No one really knows what causes SIDS therefore eliminating everything that MIGHT be the cause is what is advised!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
If you mean the sleeping bag type with armholes, yes I've made several for my grandson, who's now 6 months old. The quilts we use for tummy time. :thumbup:
Do you have a pattern for your sleeping bag? I have a friend due in May, and I think this would be nice in a light weight fabric. Or can you let me know where to find one? Thank you, Elaine
just found this on the web http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/201...l-roundup.html

looks kind of neat, and not too warm.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I have made sleeping bags that have a zipper and arm holes. I like them because my babies could not kick them off. As the baby got older I put it on back wards esle they unzip the bag and take it off.
--------------------------
I used to make them too. I'd simply make the bottom longer, with the sleeves from the neckline to the wrists, bottom of sleeves batwinging down to the bottom of the sleeping sack. Zipper, no holes for little fingers to get caught in, or buttons to swallow.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 PM

I would be concerned about fluffy and newborn, but not a quilt that is firm. Lots of stuff comes from advertisers to sell their product using scare tatics. This comes from a doctor not me. Think of all the buttons and bows on store bought clothing for newborns. They are way more dangerous that a nice firm quilt.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I guess that I was a terrible MOM...mine kids had quilts, pillows, and those dreaded bumperpads....

I am not going to stop making quilts...I think if it is a gift they will use it as they want.
Yikes, mine too! In fact, their crib would be considered dangerous to the max in todays world. :thumbdown:
Mine three (smile)!
Mine four! All 5 of mine survived with blankets, though I tried to put the babies on their side, but they manage to squirm around and often ended up how I didn't want them!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 PM

I think the key word here is NEWBORN. My understanding is that when they are so young that they can not raise and turn their head with ease, from the tummy position, etc., then they don't need anything in bed with them. Bottom line, it changes all the time. With my first, they told me to make sure to NEVER put him on his back because he would "choke" and to make sure I only layed him on his tummy. My mom about died because she was told not to put them on their tummy. My second one came only 2 1/2 years later and I was told to put her on her back or to put something behind her to keep her on her side...anyone remember that phase...very hard. Now, I believe they are saying on the back is best. Honestly, I think a monitor is the best investment I ever made. I could hear mine breathing all night long. I would feel fine about giving a baby quilt to new moms and have no problem with them waiting a few months to use it.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 PM

I love making baby quilts for special friends/family but always make sure they understand they shouldn't be put on baby unattended until about 12 months old tell them it could be used as a floor quilt or wall hanging
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 AM

Personally I believe it's just plain old common sense. Our grandparents, parents, us and our children would all be dead if what they're saying to young mothers is true today. Sure there is always the exception but honestly, I believe they make these new mothers nervous wrecks worrying over every single thing rather than spend the time loving and using their common sense. If you look up SIDS, they still have no idea what causes it...only theories. Everyone has an expert theory and they change like the wind in all topics. Just look at the new mothers today who have their first child, and then when her second child comes, she no longer has the fears and anxieties placed on her by the so called experts and uses her common sense. I think whatever the mother is comfortable with i.e., a sleeping bag or a blanket is what is appropriate for that mother. As also mentioned quilts on the floor are wonderful for playtime.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 AM

Wow! Never mind our kids...how did WE ever survive infancy/childhood. A lot of us teethed on lead painted cribs :cry:[/quote]

I am with you. I have distinct memories of a brown metal baby bed and getting my head stuck between the bars at the foot of my bed to look out the windown and seeing my mother casually walking around outside. Wait a minute -- this could explain alot!