Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
I have recently heard that one should not place quilts in a crib with a newborn until he or she is 12 months ago, because of the risk of suffocation. Have any of you made any "quilted bags" for a newborn to sleep in ie. that are like a bunting bag to keep the baby warm, but do not put the baby at risk?

I want to add something, so that you fellow quilters understand where I'm coming from - I love making baby quilts, and will keep on making them, and giving them as gifts. But as a new gramma-to-be, I am also conscious of the fact that the new guidelines encourage young moms to use sleeping sacks for the first year. I just wondered if anyone had made one using a pattern, and which one they used. Quilts I make will certain be used and loved, but probably not put on top of the baby when he/she is sleeping alone in his crib until he/she is a year old.

The only snuggle sack pattern I've got is for knits.. I have seen them for woven fabrics. And I've seen knitted and crochet snuggle sacks.

in my experience, all those cute baby quilts can be used on the floor or other places kiddo will be laying. NOT to cover with, but to lay kiddo ON!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
Three Little Ducks Sleeping Bag, from the Book:Quick Kids Quilts by Juju Vail. Fits babies up to 6 months, but is easy to enlarge.
I looked for that online, and found it, but it had been sold in New Zealand. I see you're from Australia so I may not find the pattern here. But I'll see what's in the pattern books here in Canada tomorrow.
Is this what your are looking for

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Kids-Qui...3905425&sr=1-1
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 AM

thank you; I'm just sitting here reading all of this and wondering what line someone will come up with next to scare us. If you have a quilt, blanket or anything that is too heavy for the baby to breathe with it shouldn't be used but it isn't because it's quilted it's due to the weight and density of the item. a sleeping bag snuggles around the baby so there is no way for the baby to "suffocate" from it no matter what the material is. I come from a large family and quilts have always played a part in our lives in one form or another. I'm really glad the sudden death syndrom has gone down but not due to the quilts. Doctors can tell the difference between suffocation and sudden death. I work at a childrens hospital and we have staff that puts out all of the recalls and warnings as they come out that has validy to them; this hasn't hit the list
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM

My kids even drank out of the water hose...for shame!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
thank you; I'm just sitting here reading all of this and wondering what line someone will come up with next to scare us. If you have a quilt, blanket or anything that is too heavy for the baby to breathe with it shouldn't be used but it isn't because it's quilted it's due to the weight and density of the item. a sleeping bag snuggles around the baby so there is no way for the baby to "suffocate" from it no matter what the material is. I come from a large family and quilts have always played a part in our lives in one form or another. I'm really glad the sudden death syndrom has gone down but not due to the quilts. Doctors can tell the difference between suffocation and sudden death. I work at a childrens hospital and we have staff that puts out all of the recalls and warnings as they come out that has validy to them; this hasn't hit the list
"They" seem to change their minds about what the right and wrong was for babies - When my sons were born - (ok 20 something yrs ago) we where told to lay them down on their stomachs - later we were told to put them on their sides, now my DIL tells me it is they should be placed on their back.

My youngest had to go back to the hospital because his bilirubin count was too high - was told I should have given him more water. DIL is now telling me that the babies can't have water until they are at least 6 months old.

Maybe you shouldn't leave a quilt in a crib at night, but there is nothing that says they can't be wrapped in it to cuddle!!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
Oh heck I know there were some times we used the dog's water pail...because we weren't supposed to turn the hose on & Mom could hear it from in the house if we did & we would get in trouble.

**couldn't turn hose on because of previous "misuse" of the hose & the ensuing mess & fights between 3 kids.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by Ragann63
Oh heck I know there were some times we used the dog's water pail...because we weren't supposed to turn the hose on & Mom could hear it from in the house if we did & we would get in trouble.

**couldn't turn hose on because of previous "misuse" of the hose & the ensuing mess & fights between 3 kids.
Dating myself here, but there was a bucket and ladle on the back porch for anyone to use, Dad would fill it from the well (from the farm's windmill)every morning. There was well water in the house, too, but somehow the other water tasted better. Deeper well maybe?? It seemed to stay cool all day.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM

My DIL was a stickler for no quilts in Olivia's crib until she turned one. I made her the sleep sacks out of fleece. The next year she had out grown them so I enlarged the arm holes and added more fleece to the botttom.
My children did not fare so well, they slept with blankets and quilts. They survived.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Hello. In response to the idea of not putting crib quilts on the baby. I had 3 and I always used them but I was carefull of them and checked often during nap time. I feel they are safe but like you I keep making them as gifts. Around here a lot of older home depend on outdated types of heating, a quilt feels pretty good.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 PM

I must be out of step...all my grandbabies have had quilts from birth, and none succombed to the suffocating quilt!

Sorry....In MY OPINION....some things like this get way over exaggerated!!! I know about SIDS...my cousin lost a baby to SIDS. It is a tragic loss. Eliminating soft stuffed animals and other small items that can be squished against a baby's face is the logical thing to do. I never put piles of stuff like that in my kids' beds. But quilts....I don't see it. They aren't that squishy soft and dense that they would block a mouth and a child couldn't breathe through them. I'm not a doctor....THIS IS MY OWN OPINION!!