Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and Newborns - a No-No? >

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Quilts and Newborns - a No-No?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 PM

You are correct. The AAP (american academy of pediatrics) sent out a statement that the latest information available showed there was an increase risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) with extra quilting, blankets, bumpers etc in the bed as well as placing them to sleep on their tummy. I also did not raise my children this way but then we did not know as much about sudden deaths of children as we do now. Before, babies just died and many of the previous times were very hard so there was not as many studies being done as today.

The item you are talking about can be looked at on the internet under the name Baby Halo. Of course this is the brand name of one shown but you can see how it is made and make a pattern.
It keeps the material from coming up around the infant's face.

Hope this helps..I am a quilter but my day job is a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner. We take premature and term infant safety very seriously. (with that being said...feel lucky my children never had a problem either).
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
My kids even drank out of the water hose...for shame!
That is the only water we had then and still have. Nothing wrong with them.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM

I think back in the old days, hoses were made from rubber. These days they are made from materials that may contain lead, especially when sitting out in the hot sun. I would drink from a hose if I had to but I'd let all the standing water run out of it first, for sure.

The other day I turned on the outside spigot to water my flowers and the biggest, nastiest, dead fly came out of it. Gross.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Hmmm, I guess I have been completely out of the loop! So glad to hars that SIDS is down.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
Wow! Never mind our kids...how did WE ever survive infancy/childhood. A lot of us teethed on lead painted cribs :cry:
:lol:
And we our mom's held us in their laps in the front seat of the car because it was safer that way. We slept on our tummies so prevent aspiration when we spit up.

And those big TV's that must have weighed 50 pounds or more that sat on corner of a wobbly table just waiting to topple over on us as we drove our cars around on our knees.

And I loved to break (accidently of course) the thermometers to play with the mercury.

Now, the cribs have to be almost empty and baby sleeps on his back all the time. Hopefully the cases of SIDs are going down.

I still make baby quilts for newborns but I add a sleeve on the back and include instructions on how to hang it.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM

My daughter is 6 months pregnant and I have to laugh at all the things she tells me or asks me about when I was pregnant with her. Strollers, car seats, etc. Many things have changed and it is a miracle that our children did survive sleeping on their tummies with quilts, bottles, plain cloth diapers, etc. The quilt I'm making her, though, is for tummy time - not the crib. The sleeping bag idea is okay, but I don't have a pattern, nor the time right now. I bought a used bag for my house when baby visits!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Unfortunately plenty of babies and kids died back then from car crashes, furniture falling on them, sids and more. Just because yours (collectively) didn't doesn't mean none of those things were a danger. This board represents but a tiny percentage of the population so it's not surprising that the people who lost loved ones in these ways aren't here to report their stories. When we know better, we do better, and because of the things that have happened and been studied, we know better (in most cases).

You know how people say that when they were young they ran all over town as kids and nothing bad happened to them. Well I did as well and I was molested, twice. So it's not always because it didn't happen but because people don't mention it.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
We just called them "Blanket Sleepers", and my kids did sleep in them when they were babies, but I always put a blanket over them even with those on.

We were brought up very different than the "modern" ideas and dire warnings of injuries, and somehow we all survived, and so did our children. We didn't have 1/3 of the "safety" equipment that is used now, and we all survived it. I think all the over-cautiousness has only driven consumer product sales!! Sure, take reasonable precautions, but I think a lot of this is way over-hyped!!

Now"the experts" are saying that babies aren't learning to crawl because they aren't being put on their stomachs after all the super-hype about SIDS. We would put our kids on the floor on blankets on their stomachs with toys out of their reach so that they would scoot and try to get them. That's how they learned to move. We had to physically get down on the floor with my little grandaughter and work her arms and legs to teach her to crawl because my daughter wouldn't put her on her stomach!!
I dont think anyone is saying you cannot put your baby on its tummy for learning as you are there playing and "observing". It is only when you put the baby down for sleep. If children are not learning to crawl it is because the parents have not understood or they are perhaps not actively involved in playing with the baby.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4EVERquilt
I have heard that fleece is not good for new borns.
fleece is not good for anyone...nor the landfills....it is polyurethane based and does not biodegrade..ever!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 AM

I make baby quilts and give as gifts. I don't expect that they will be used in the crib, because of the SIDS risk, but they are good for putting on the floor for "tummy time". I think they're also good for wrapping the baby in when you're going somewhere.