Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Refinishing treadle irons and cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/refinishing-treadle-irons-cabinet-t72536.html)

JaneK 10-26-2010 07:13 PM

I am in the midst of a project refinishing a 1909 singer 66 in it's cabinet. I am wondering about the treadle irons. I have removed the rust and WD-40'd the whole thing. Should i paint the stand, black matte? or does painting ruin the "vintage " feel? If not paint, what should I do to "finish" the treadle irons? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

virtualbernie 10-26-2010 07:35 PM

Ask Billy. He's our resident treadle guru! He's finished lots and lots of machines and just loves treadles. He'll know!

Tink's Mom 10-26-2010 07:42 PM

I used Rustoleum on mine...but it may ruin some of the value. of course if you had seen it before...the rustoleum was the way to go. :-D

redbugsullivan 06-03-2012 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 1785119)
I used Rustoleum on mine...but it may ruin some of the value. of course if you had seen it before...the rustoleum was the way to go. :-D

So, a lot of time has elapsed between now and this thread. How did it turn out? I'm getting ready to repaint a set of 1884 treadle irons and debate doing it myself vs. having it done professionally. Your opinion, please!

Tink's Mom 06-03-2012 05:31 PM

Mine has held up just fine...the black rustoleum which was in a satin finish, looks great...The legs were so rusty when I got it that it was the only way I could save it. I used navel jelly on it first then the paint....no flaking no problem. The gold area I repainted by hand.

Stitchnripper 06-03-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 5263474)
Mine has held up just fine...the black rustoleum which was in a satin finish, looks great...The legs were so rusty when I got it that it was the only way I could save it. I used navel jelly on it first then the paint....no flaking no problem. The gold area I repainted by hand.

Could you please post some pictures? Did you take the treadle mechanism apart?

Mitch's mom 06-03-2012 06:45 PM

Paint them. Treadles were made in such numbers the 'value' is about what you paid for it. Aside from that, the paint can be removed if someone, 100 years from now, wants to restore it. The rust stains unpainted irons would leave on your fabrics may not come out.

If you don't want to spray paint them, a quick way to paint iron work is to use a sponge. Not a sponge brush - a sponge. Dip it in your paint then press, and dab, and smooth, to your hearts content. Wear gloves.

redbugsullivan 06-04-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5263572)
Paint them. The rust stains unpainted irons would leave on your fabrics may not come out.

If you don't want to spray paint them, a quick way to paint iron work is to use a sponge. Not a sponge brush - a sponge. Dip it in your paint then press, and dab, and smooth, to your hearts content. Wear gloves.

You have just provided me with a great plan! I never thought of sponging. Spray painting is messy and noxious. I even have the perfect paint. Thank you!

Caroline S 06-04-2012 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5263413)
So, a lot of time has elapsed between now and this thread. How did it turn out? I'm getting ready to repaint a set of 1884 treadle irons and debate doing it myself vs. having it done professionally. Your opinion, please!

What are you going to use to clean the irons before painting? An inquiring mind with a very rusty set of irons wants to know!

redbugsullivan 06-09-2012 04:36 PM

I am debating between paying for sandblasting or a wire brush on a drill with a dust mask and face shield. It depends on how much the sand blasting costs. My Scotch heritage is showing... :-)