Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Refinishing treadle irons and cabinet >
  • Refinishing treadle irons and cabinet

  • Refinishing treadle irons and cabinet

    Old 10-26-2010, 07:13 PM
      #1  
    Junior Member
    Thread Starter
     
    JaneK's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: chicago suburbs
    Posts: 102
    Default

    I am in the midst of a project refinishing a 1909 singer 66 in it's cabinet. I am wondering about the treadle irons. I have removed the rust and WD-40'd the whole thing. Should i paint the stand, black matte? or does painting ruin the "vintage " feel? If not paint, what should I do to "finish" the treadle irons? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
    JaneK is offline  
    Old 10-26-2010, 07:35 PM
      #2  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Maryland
    Posts: 3,586
    Default

    Ask Billy. He's our resident treadle guru! He's finished lots and lots of machines and just loves treadles. He'll know!
    virtualbernie is offline  
    Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
      #3  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: chicago, IL
    Posts: 9,589
    Default

    I used Rustoleum on mine...but it may ruin some of the value. of course if you had seen it before...the rustoleum was the way to go. :-D
    Tink's Mom is offline  
    Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
      #4  
    Senior Member
     
    redbugsullivan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Western Washington State
    Posts: 549
    Default

    Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    I used Rustoleum on mine...but it may ruin some of the value. of course if you had seen it before...the rustoleum was the way to go. :-D
    So, a lot of time has elapsed between now and this thread. How did it turn out? I'm getting ready to repaint a set of 1884 treadle irons and debate doing it myself vs. having it done professionally. Your opinion, please!
    redbugsullivan is offline  
    Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 PM
      #5  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: chicago, IL
    Posts: 9,589
    Default

    Mine has held up just fine...the black rustoleum which was in a satin finish, looks great...The legs were so rusty when I got it that it was the only way I could save it. I used navel jelly on it first then the paint....no flaking no problem. The gold area I repainted by hand.
    Tink's Mom is offline  
    Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 PM
      #6  
    Power Poster
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Mableton, GA
    Posts: 11,254
    Default

    Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Mine has held up just fine...the black rustoleum which was in a satin finish, looks great...The legs were so rusty when I got it that it was the only way I could save it. I used navel jelly on it first then the paint....no flaking no problem. The gold area I repainted by hand.
    Could you please post some pictures? Did you take the treadle mechanism apart?
    Stitchnripper is offline  
    Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
      #7  
    Super Member
     
    Mitch's mom's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: TN
    Posts: 1,443
    Default

    Paint them. Treadles were made in such numbers the 'value' is about what you paid for it. Aside from that, the paint can be removed if someone, 100 years from now, wants to restore it. The rust stains unpainted irons would leave on your fabrics may not come out.

    If you don't want to spray paint them, a quick way to paint iron work is to use a sponge. Not a sponge brush - a sponge. Dip it in your paint then press, and dab, and smooth, to your hearts content. Wear gloves.
    Mitch's mom is offline  
    Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM
      #8  
    Senior Member
     
    redbugsullivan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Western Washington State
    Posts: 549
    Default

    Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    Paint them. The rust stains unpainted irons would leave on your fabrics may not come out.

    If you don't want to spray paint them, a quick way to paint iron work is to use a sponge. Not a sponge brush - a sponge. Dip it in your paint then press, and dab, and smooth, to your hearts content. Wear gloves.
    You have just provided me with a great plan! I never thought of sponging. Spray painting is messy and noxious. I even have the perfect paint. Thank you!
    redbugsullivan is offline  
    Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM
      #9  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts: 3,992
    Default

    Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
    So, a lot of time has elapsed between now and this thread. How did it turn out? I'm getting ready to repaint a set of 1884 treadle irons and debate doing it myself vs. having it done professionally. Your opinion, please!

    What are you going to use to clean the irons before painting? An inquiring mind with a very rusty set of irons wants to know!
    Caroline S is offline  
    Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
      #10  
    Senior Member
     
    redbugsullivan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Western Washington State
    Posts: 549
    Default

    I am debating between paying for sandblasting or a wire brush on a drill with a dust mask and face shield. It depends on how much the sand blasting costs. My Scotch heritage is showing... :-)
    redbugsullivan is offline  
    Related Topics
    Thread
    Thread Starter
    Forum
    Replies
    Last Post
    tate_elliott
    For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
    13
    05-05-2018 07:13 AM
    jljack
    For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
    46
    11-06-2012 10:38 AM
    Monroe
    For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
    12
    04-27-2012 03:54 AM
    Pinkiris
    General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
    8
    09-21-2011 05:29 PM
    JaneK
    For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
    3
    10-27-2010 06:35 AM

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is On
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter