Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
W&G irons, Standard treadle machine, and ? cabinet? >

W&G irons, Standard treadle machine, and ? cabinet?

W&G irons, Standard treadle machine, and ? cabinet?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Default W&G irons, Standard treadle machine, and ? cabinet?

Found this on Craigslist, picking it up at the end of the week. The CL ad wasn't enticing, but in a thumbnail photo I realized the irons looked to be W&G. The seller kindly sent me better pics. Long drive, but worth it- I hope. Appears to be stored on a porch, the finish is dull on the top of the cabinet, a few missing small bits of veneer. Decals on the machine bed are poor, but the rest seem OK. I Love the irons- look to be in good shape with some of the original gold detail and bronzing. The cabinet has the treadle works in the right side, drawers on the left with a tease of "stuff" peeking out. Is the cabinet a Standard or an original W&G? Looks like a large lever lifts the machine platform? I'd appreciate any input about this hybrid.
Attached Thumbnails resized-standard-cabinet-closed.jpg   resized-standard-cabinet.jpg   resized-l-drawers-standard-treadle.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM

I'm not seeing the twined "WG" on that foot pedal....I think the cabinet is a Standard... Nice find!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM

I've resized a pic of a set of W&G irons (on the right) and the Standard irons from this cabinet. From the floor to the intertwined reversed C scrolls- they are virtually identical. The W&G has the initials inside the middle third of the legs, this Standard has a different design. I don't have a full side view of the Standard irons since they disappear into the cabinet. A lot of similarities- were the 2 companies related at some point? Thanks Charlee!
Attached Thumbnails w-g-vs-standard-resized-irons.jpg   wg3.jpg  

Last edited by Monroe; 04-23-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: unnecessary text
Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM

I don't know if they ever merged, I don't think they did....something new for me to look up!

However! While there were lots and lots of different manufacturers in the earlier days of sewing machines, there were only a few cabinet makers, and I don't think any of the companies made their own cabinets. I've seen similar cabinet irons, and cabinets themselves for Singer, National, Davis, White....with Singer being the most unique and possibly making their own....

YAY!! Something new to research!!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM

Really nice find. I'm sure it's gonna be very worth the drive....great looking cabinet! Don't think I've seen one lke that.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Let us see her after you clean her up. Good fine!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Just spoke with the seller- am meeting him Thursday around noon. He told me the machine works- that he's actually used it. So far I haven't found anything tying the W&G and Standard sewing machine companies together. The designs of the irons seem to be made by the same ironworks. Singer had its own foundry.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 PM

The Standard machine (did you get the chainstitch spider for it?) seems to have beautiful decals. They so often are abused and missing. Be sure to be gentle when you clean it, and try not to use anything on the decals themselves.

About the Willcox and Gibbs irons: There are two styles, the older ones and the modern ones. The modern ones (relatively speaking) have the initials as part of the design. The older ones, though, are still elaborate, but they do not include the initials. They, too, are special, and I was gentle, gentle when I cleaned mine. As a reward, the color on mine is still the beautiful original brown, instead of black. Such a special machine!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM

Georgiaclark- Do you have a photo of the older W&G irons? What did you use to clean them up? I've commonly seen this same cabinet on a different set of irons- the black ones more similar to Singer's. So maybe these are W&G irons? They do appear to have the original bronze color with gold accents. Picking it up tomorrow but won't be able to get it out of the car without help until maybe Sunday. It is fun trying to find out if this is a hybrid or original. I'm guessing hybrid based on the many similarities of the irons. I can't imagine any other sewing machine company would have the same elaborate ironwork with recurved striated horse hooves on the bottom of the stand.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Love the style~I think it will turn out beautiful when you are done with it.