Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Remember the barn quilt on page 2--you all were helping me with?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/remember-barn-quilt-page-2-you-all-were-helping-me-t3426.html)

barnbum 12-02-2007 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some gave me the brilliant idea of copying it in black and white! I did and sharpened a green and blue colored pencil and... it makes sense to me to use blue only at the top! I'm planning on using it above the top barn and trees--4 branches down on the two to the left and two branches down on the far right top tree--and the rest will have "grass" behind them! Does that make sense?? Rather than several individual pictures of barns--it'd one landscape scene.

Yes? Or no? Do you understand what I'm saying? Does anyone see anything differently??

Rebecca Chambley 12-02-2007 05:47 PM

I"m sorry, I don't quiet understand.

patricej 12-02-2007 05:57 PM

she wants to make the quilt look as though it's a bunch of barns on one piece of land. so, mostly "grass" backgrounds, with the sky above only the top barns.

pretty clever. i doubt i'd have thought of that. :P

barnbum 12-02-2007 05:59 PM

Sorry Rebecca--let me try again--if you look at the quilt scene as 4 barns dotting a rolling landscape--only the top barn is at the horizon. So I'd use blue colors for the background fabrics around the top barn and trees only. At first I was considering using blue fabrics above every barn--which was what was making my head spin--it was difficult to decide where to use blues and where to use greens...but once I colored it in--blue at the top only seemed to be a solution.

Does that help? :?:

barnbum 12-02-2007 06:00 PM

So PatriceJ--you think it'd be okay? I'd never have thought of it either unless I got those pencils out!! Do you know how many months I've been thinking about this quilt??? :shock: I have to look up who suggested that and thank him or her!!! :D

I checked--it was Moonpi!! Thank you Moonpi--whatever I decide it will be your idea that got me there!! I need a bowing smile thingy. ;)

Moonpi 12-02-2007 09:33 PM

Sounds like a plan. You can further the illusion of hills by using lighter and darker shades across the treed sections.

Minda 12-02-2007 10:25 PM

I think it sounds like an interesting idea. It's hard for me to visualize it without a picture, so I can't wait to see the completed quilt.

Rebecca Chambley 12-03-2007 01:33 AM

ooooooo, Very clever, That would be really pretty.

barnbum 12-03-2007 04:01 AM

Moonpi--I have at least 5 shades of lighter greens to use for the grass. :D I'm not sure I can coodinate lights to darks--but at least there will be a variety.

The disappointing part is I had at least 5 cool blues for the sky--and now I can't use them!! WAH! BUT! I can use them for the border and the log cabin squares! :!:

I finished getting the rows together of my next quilt--so as soon as that one's done--the barnbum quilt will be next! :!:

AND I'm thinking about my horse/barn loving niece who is getting married in Sept--and has to live in the city for awhile... if I do some extra squares.... hmmmm. :wink:

Darn! I want to play in my sewing room but I have to head to work. :(

vicki reno 12-03-2007 04:16 AM

I like that idea. The other way was going to be too "busy", but I like the new idea. It will pull all the blocks together a whole lot better. Can't wait to see that!