Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Remember the barn quilt on page 2--you all were helping me with??

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Some gave me the brilliant idea of copying it in black and white! I did and sharpened a green and blue colored pencil and... it makes sense to me to use blue only at the top! I'm planning on using it above the top barn and trees--4 branches down on the two to the left and two branches down on the far right top tree--and the rest will have "grass" behind them! Does that make sense?? Rather than several individual pictures of barns--it'd one landscape scene.

Yes? Or no? Do you understand what I'm saying? Does anyone see anything differently??
    Attached Images Attached Images

I"m sorry, I don't quiet understand.

Blog Entries
    she wants to make the quilt look as though it's a bunch of barns on one piece of land. so, mostly "grass" backgrounds, with the sky above only the top barns.

pretty clever. i doubt i'd have thought of that. :P

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Rebecca--let me try again--if you look at the quilt scene as 4 barns dotting a rolling landscape--only the top barn is at the horizon. So I'd use blue colors for the background fabrics around the top barn and trees only. At first I was considering using blue fabrics above every barn--which was what was making my head spin--it was difficult to decide where to use blues and where to use greens...but once I colored it in--blue at the top only seemed to be a solution.

Does that help? :?:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So PatriceJ--you think it'd be okay? I'd never have thought of it either unless I got those pencils out!! Do you know how many months I've been thinking about this quilt??? :shock: I have to look up who suggested that and thank him or her!!! :D

I checked--it was Moonpi!! Thank you Moonpi--whatever I decide it will be your idea that got me there!! I need a bowing smile thingy. ;)

Sounds like a plan. You can further the illusion of hills by using lighter and darker shades across the treed sections.

I think it sounds like an interesting idea. It's hard for me to visualize it without a picture, so I can't wait to see the completed quilt.

ooooooo, Very clever, That would be really pretty.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Moonpi--I have at least 5 shades of lighter greens to use for the grass. :D I'm not sure I can coodinate lights to darks--but at least there will be a variety.

The disappointing part is I had at least 5 cool blues for the sky--and now I can't use them!! WAH! BUT! I can use them for the border and the log cabin squares! :!:

I finished getting the rows together of my next quilt--so as soon as that one's done--the barnbum quilt will be next! :!:

AND I'm thinking about my horse/barn loving niece who is getting married in Sept--and has to live in the city for awhile... if I do some extra squares.... hmmmm. :wink:

Darn! I want to play in my sewing room but I have to head to work. :(

I like that idea. The other way was going to be too "busy", but I like the new idea. It will pull all the blocks together a whole lot better. Can't wait to see that!

Sounds very exciting, can't wait to see your progress. Please post pics as you go so we can all enjoy ok?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Okay jbs--I'll do that!! :D

Thanks for your help everyone--I'm going to color more before I start to work out some light to dark ideas. And I have to figure out how to get my favorite horse pictrures the right size for the barn doors. :wink: