Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Renting a long arm?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/renting-long-arm-t11969.html)

quiltwoman 10-06-2008 02:27 PM

A new quilt shop opened and the are offering time to rent the machine, by apmt, to quilt your quilts. They are offering help w/ set up of quilt on the machine/frame, and economy designs from APQs--you buy the thread, and minimum rental time is 2 hours--what do you think?? worth the while?

there is a mandatory info session you have to attend and pay for but if it saves lots of time????what do you all think? :?:

Susan in Texas 10-06-2008 02:34 PM

This sounds great to me......but it depends on how much they are charging for all this time. This is a way to learn to quilt on an long arm and it is a way to decide if you want to invest in your own long arm. :D

mary quite contrary 10-06-2008 02:54 PM

I would do this depending on the price. I don't want to pay the prices of someone else quilting and the one time I did, I wasn't all that happy with it besides, I like doing things myself.

Jim's Gem 10-06-2008 03:15 PM

I might be interested in trying it out. Someday I want a longarm too, and working on it for more than just a few minutes at a show would be a good way to see if it is something I want to invest time and money in.

Shelley 10-06-2008 03:57 PM

I rent out time on my longarm.

On the first rental (some places make you take a class), I go through loading a quilt, advancing the quilt, threading the machine, basting the top, sides, and bottom, using the pantos, groovy boards, rulers/ruler base. I hit the basics, then specialize based on whatever the customer wants to do on the quilt. Some places require classes, some don't even allow the rulers (if you hit a ruler, the machine usually has to be re-timed - don't ask me how I know).

The going rate in these parts is about $10.00/hour with a 4 hour minimum.

This is a great way to see if LA quilting is for you. Some people try it once, and say forget it!! It's also a great way to try different machines. They all have a different feel.

ddrobins1956 10-06-2008 04:00 PM

I wish I could find a shop that did that. I would love to try my hand at quilting my own quilts. I send all of mine out as I find it too frustrating on my regualr machine. I say go for it. How much do they charge?

Jim's Gem 10-06-2008 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
I rent out time on my longarm.

On the first rental (some places make you take a class), I go through loading a quilt, advancing the quilt, threading the machine, basting the top, sides, and bottom, using the pantos, groovy boards, rulers/ruler base. I hit the basics, then specialize based on whatever the customer wants to do on the quilt. Some places require classes, some don't even allow the rulers (if you hit a ruler, the machine usually has to be re-timed - don't ask me how I know).

The going rate in these parts is about $10.00/hour with a 4 hour minimum.

This is a great way to see if LA quilting is for you. Some people try it once, and say forget it!! It's also a great way to try different machines. They all have a different feel.

It's to bad you are too far for me to come try out your machine. Your price is very reasonable!!! Thanks for information!!!

Lynne 10-07-2008 06:02 AM

Julie,

There is a girl here in my area that has just started providing that type of service. I was talking to my DH last night about going and trying it out. There is a $ for the "how to use it" class and then I think its about $100 for 8 hours. I think that is really reasonable. And, it is a good way for me to see if I really would use a long arm and if I could do that type of thing too.

I am going to talk to her today about setting up a time to take the orientation class and to schedule time to get on the machine. I will have about 3-4 quilts to do before Christmas. Wish me luck!!

Lynne

fabricluvr 10-07-2008 12:26 PM

wow - i would do that in a heartbeat! can you get a quilt done in 4 hours? i paid $100 each for queen size. that would cut the cost in half, and i think i'd enjoy doing it myself.

quiltwoman 10-07-2008 01:09 PM

I'm not sure the exact cost per hour--they advertise a smaller quilting machine at $15/hour--2 hour minimum.

I won't make it back to the shop this week or next, but if I find out, I'll let you know what the going rate is.