Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Running eighths? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/running-eighths-t181575.html)

richdan 03-04-2012 05:00 AM

Running eighths?

Hi! I found a pattern that uses running eighths. Can someone tell me how to buy a running eighth?

Thanks, Diane

ghostrider 03-04-2012 05:17 AM

It's an eighth of a yard cut from the bolt...4½" x WOF...as opposed to a fat eighth which is 9" x 22". Just take the bolt up to the person cutting fabric and ask for an eighth of a yard, it's that easy. :)

richdan 03-04-2012 05:25 AM

Thanks! Appreciate it. I've been googling all over looking for an answer!

lvaughan 03-04-2012 05:27 AM

I have purchased running eights at JoAnn's. I don't think they they have them anymore, haven't seen them in the last year. I got mine on clearance in summer 2010. I did see some at a local quilt shop but don't remember who the manufacturer was. You might try quiltshops.com

auntpiggylpn 03-04-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5029654)
It's an eighth of a yard cut from the bolt...4½" x WOF...as opposed to a fat eighth which is 9" x 22". Just take the bolt up to the person cutting fabric and ask for an eighth of a yard, it's that easy. :)

Thank you! I have wondered about a running 1/8th for years! I've never bought a fat eighth before. My favorite LQS won't cut them either. I didn't know what a "thin quarter" was either for the longest time until someone on the board explained that it is a 1/4 yd cut of fabric as opposed to a "fat quarter"

GrannieAnnie 03-04-2012 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5029654)

Is your fabric usable? With the lousy cutters most places around here, all you'd have is a very out of line piece of trash. I generally have to cut that much off just to square up fabric.

ckcowl 03-05-2012 03:53 AM

many quilt shops will only cut 1/4 yds- or 1/2 yds---in that case you would have to purchase a 1/4 yd- which is 9" x width of fabric---and cut it in half to have 4 1/2" x wof. or 1/2 yd would give you (4) 1/8 yds.

susie-susie-susie 03-05-2012 06:41 AM

I have to agree with GrannieAnnie, I would be afraid to get that small of a piece cut for fear that they would cut it crooked and I wouldn't be able to use it. I would rather get a fat quarter and cut it myself. Can you do that? Why does it have to be so long (width of fabric)?
Sue

susie-susie-susie 03-05-2012 06:42 AM

I have to agree with GrannieAnnie, I would be afraid to get that small of a piece cut for fear that they would cut it crooked and I wouldn't be able to use it. I would rather get a fat quarter and cut it myself. Can you do that? Why does it have to be so long (width of fabric)?
Sue

Havplenty 03-05-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5032399)
many quilt shops will only cut 1/4 yds- or 1/2 yds---in that case you would have to purchase a 1/4 yd- which is 9" x width of fabric---and cut it in half to have 4 1/2" x wof. or 1/2 yd would give you (4) 1/8 yds.

my lqs cuts 1/8" yards for me all the time and they make them 6" instead of a round 41/2". just wondering how a lqs can tell someone they will not cut what the customer wants to buy. interesting.