Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Running eighths?

Running eighths?

Hi! I found a pattern that uses running eighths. Can someone tell me how to buy a running eighth?

Thanks, Diane

It's an eighth of a yard cut from the bolt...4" x WOF...as opposed to a fat eighth which is 9" x 22". Just take the bolt up to the person cutting fabric and ask for an eighth of a yard, it's that easy.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Thanks! Appreciate it. I've been googling all over looking for an answer!

I have purchased running eights at JoAnn's. I don't think they they have them anymore, haven't seen them in the last year. I got mine on clearance in summer 2010. I did see some at a local quilt shop but don't remember who the manufacturer was. You might try quiltshops.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    It's an eighth of a yard cut from the bolt...4" x WOF...as opposed to a fat eighth which is 9" x 22". Just take the bolt up to the person cutting fabric and ask for an eighth of a yard, it's that easy.
    Thank you! I have wondered about a running 1/8th for years! I've never bought a fat eighth before. My favorite LQS won't cut them either. I didn't know what a "thin quarter" was either for the longest time until someone on the board explained that it is a 1/4 yd cut of fabric as opposed to a "fat quarter"
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Is your fabric usable? With the lousy cutters most places around here, all you'd have is a very out of line piece of trash. I generally have to cut that much off just to square up fabric.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    many quilt shops will only cut 1/4 yds- or 1/2 yds---in that case you would have to purchase a 1/4 yd- which is 9" x width of fabric---and cut it in half to have 4 1/2" x wof. or 1/2 yd would give you (4) 1/8 yds.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have to agree with GrannieAnnie, I would be afraid to get that small of a piece cut for fear that they would cut it crooked and I wouldn't be able to use it. I would rather get a fat quarter and cut it myself. Can you do that? Why does it have to be so long (width of fabric)?
    Sue

I have to agree with GrannieAnnie, I would be afraid to get that small of a piece cut for fear that they would cut it crooked and I wouldn't be able to use it. I would rather get a fat quarter and cut it myself. Can you do that? Why does it have to be so long (width of fabric)?
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    many quilt shops will only cut 1/4 yds- or 1/2 yds---in that case you would have to purchase a 1/4 yd- which is 9" x width of fabric---and cut it in half to have 4 1/2" x wof. or 1/2 yd would give you (4) 1/8 yds.

my lqs cuts 1/8" yards for me all the time and they make them 6" instead of a round 41/2". just wondering how a lqs can tell someone they will not cut what the customer wants to buy. interesting.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    my lqs cuts 1/8" yards for me all the time and they make them 6" instead of a round 41/2". just wondering how a lqs can tell someone they will not cut what the customer wants to buy. interesting.
    I have never found anywhere that won't cut at least 2 1/2" I do believe that I have heard that some places won't cut less than 4 inches though.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    If i owned a shop, I'd not cut 4.5 inch pieces-----------too much room for error and unhappy customers.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    If i owned a shop, I'd not cut 4.5 inch pieces-----------too much room for error and unhappy customers.
    i certainly do not understand that mode of thinking. how can it be more room for error cutting 1/8 of a yard then cutting any other amount of fabric? i was at joann's once buying 1/8 yards and the girl cutting kept cutting them short trying not to give me an inch over which was just not smart on her part. she wasted fabric. my lqs always try to cut 1/8 yd purchase at a minimum of 5 inches, no problem.

i spend at least $35-$45 every time i go on my mini shopping trips to buy my 1/8 of yards or remnants or their sale fabrics. my lqs fabric pices are $10.99 to 12.99 per yard plus they sale vouge designer fabrics which are in the $35-$55 range. if they would not cut want i wanted they would surely lose my business. as it stands now, i am looking to buy a baby lock upgrade machine from them. their desire to accomodate me and others like me helps to keep them making sells.

my closest lqs, jackman's fabrics, has been locally owned & in business for over 100 years. its a good thing they are willing to accomodate the needs of their customers.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I learn SOOOO MUCH on this board!! I never heard of a running 1/8th, but did know about a fat quarter. SO MUCH TO LEARN...it's fun!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

i knew about a skinny quarter but never knew that they had another name for the 1/8 of a yard. hehe. learn new things every day here. love it.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.