Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sampler Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sampler-quilt-question-t167615.html)

gramarraine 11-11-2011 06:58 AM

My quilting group is putting together a quilt for one of our members that has been ill. The quilt is done with everyones orphan blocks so they are all different colors. I prefer colors of the same hue but this quilt is very pretty and scrappy looking. The recepient will love it. Like has been said before it is your quilt you can do what you like.

joyce888 11-11-2011 07:16 AM

I have made many sampler quilts with a large aray of fabrics that compliment each other and also samplers that are in the same colorway. I think the most important thing if you want to use from your stash is to make sure your fabric choices play well together and you have enough of each for all the blocks your doing.

QuiltnNan 11-11-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dmarcho (Post 4664836)
I love the scrappy look. If you are concerned about it looking too scrappy you could try using a "similar background" fabric in each block.

This would be my choice if all of the blocks do not lend themselves to the same fabrics. Please be sure to post pictures as you go along... I'm interested in seeing it.

sarahrachel 11-11-2011 10:08 AM

Thanks everybody. I think I'll go find a white on white for the background and pick other pieces from there. But I have other quilts to finish before I even start this one, my brain has just been turning this one over and over. I'm now thinking of how neat brights would look against the white which would mean that the fabric won't be coming from my stash...gonna have to think some more

mmdquilts 11-11-2011 10:58 AM

I enjoy making each block different.

LivelyLady 11-11-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sewflower (Post 4664805)
You can do whatever you please. When I did one I just use similar hues but not same fabric. I tied it all together with the sashinhg and border. Enjoy and remember to post a pic

Good advice.

ka9sdn 11-11-2011 01:15 PM

I have used whatever fabrics from my stash and then tied them all together with a complimentary sashing.

ManiacQuilter2 11-11-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom (Post 4665055)
Be creative and use what looks good to you. When I do a block sampler, I find one piece of material that I really like and use that and then find others that work with it. It's fun to create your own sampler blocks. I'm doing one now that has 12" blocks. Lots of fun!

"DITTO" I have been using primarily fabrics from my stash and I have taken 2nd place TWICE in the quilt contests. I normally pick a main print and then I audition various fabrics to see what looks good with it. Remember to have FUN while you are making your quilt. GOOD LUCK !!!

Sadiemae 11-11-2011 02:06 PM

You can use however many fabrics you want to. When I taught beginning quilting, I had my students use three colors just to make it easy to calculate the amount of fabric needed.

Feathers-N-Fur 11-11-2011 08:19 PM

If you want to see a sampler done in multiple fabrics, do a search for Egg Money Quilts. The pattern calls for 15 fabrics for 12 blocks.