Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilts-love-them-hate-them-t206280.html)

KwiltyKahy 11-17-2012 10:48 PM

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

I love the look of scrappy quilts. BUT, I hate piecing them. When I lay them out I have all the greens together and then I move it and oops, all the blues are together, okay, move that oops, the oranges are together. It makes me crazy.
Anybody else have this problem or is it just me?

busy fingers 11-17-2012 11:10 PM

I feel your pain. I love scrappies but I do have to have some control over the layout.

Nothing wrong with me.:D

DOTTYMO 11-17-2012 11:11 PM

Kwiltykahy I am sorry I hate scrappy, I feel myself loosing self control just at the thought of colours not forming a regular pattern. I do try to make them but always finish quickly say never again and give quilt away. It is a good job we all like different types of quilts as it gives us such a wide range to look at admire but most of all enjoy.

DebraK 11-17-2012 11:27 PM

I go back and forth. I think matchy-matchy gets pretty darn dull sometimes.

Tartan 11-18-2012 02:35 AM

I love scrappy quilts! I do have the same trouble you do making them though. I have accepted the fact that I am a controlled scrappy person but love others who seem to be able to be more free with their scrappy construction.

annthreecats 11-18-2012 02:42 AM

I definitely think scrappy has a place of honor in quilting. Scrappy quilts remind me of old fashioned quilts. The first quilt I made, I took 13 new pieces of fabric and assembled them into pinwheel blocks. It was very scrappy and it looked very old fashioned and was very well received.

ckcowl 11-18-2012 02:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]377179[/ATTACH]i love scrappy quilts- without them the scraps would turn my sewing room into a 'little shop of horrors' here is one i made one block at a time- a technique i use often
and here's one that i did - surrounding (theme blocks) with scrappy components to turn it into a quilt- i think both ways work out well- without worrying about too many of any one color causing (unbalance)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]377182[/ATTACH]

Jackie Spencer 11-18-2012 05:21 AM

I love scrap quilts, try not to have any 2 fabrics alike.I love the old antique look.

carolaug 11-18-2012 05:35 AM

When I first started quilting I was not a big scappy fan...now I love them. I hate waste..and I love it when I put a quilt together with all of the scraps from all the many quilts that I have made...and I can say...oh that fabric was used in so and so's quilt...it brings smiles just thinking of all the fun quilts I have made.

mtnmama 11-18-2012 05:46 AM

I like scrappy quilts also but sometimes struggle with not having all the same colors together. However, I have found that trying to place and replace blocks usually ends up being too tedious. Just throw them out there and sew the rows together and it looks great. Quilting should be fun, don't stress about it.