Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them?

I love the look of scrappy quilts. BUT, I hate piecing them. When I lay them out I have all the greens together and then I move it and oops, all the blues are together, okay, move that oops, the oranges are together. It makes me crazy.
    Anybody else have this problem or is it just me?

I feel your pain. I love scrappies but I do have to have some control over the layout.

Nothing wrong with me.

Blog Entries
    Kwiltykahy I am sorry I hate scrappy, I feel myself loosing self control just at the thought of colours not forming a regular pattern. I do try to make them but always finish quickly say never again and give quilt away. It is a good job we all like different types of quilts as it gives us such a wide range to look at admire but most of all enjoy.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I go back and forth. I think matchy-matchy gets pretty darn dull sometimes.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Power Poster
    I love scrappy quilts! I do have the same trouble you do making them though. I have accepted the fact that I am a controlled scrappy person but love others who seem to be able to be more free with their scrappy construction.

Blog Entries
    I definitely think scrappy has a place of honor in quilting. Scrappy quilts remind me of old fashioned quilts. The first quilt I made, I took 13 new pieces of fabric and assembled them into pinwheel blocks. It was very scrappy and it looked very old fashioned and was very well received.

Blog Entries
    Name:  detail diannes.JPG
Views: 2708
Size:  890.6 KBi love scrappy quilts- without them the scraps would turn my sewing room into a 'little shop of horrors' here is one i made one block at a time- a technique i use often
    and here's one that i did - surrounding (theme blocks) with scrappy components to turn it into a quilt- i think both ways work out well- without worrying about too many of any one color causing (unbalance)
    Name:  dragonflyquilt (2).jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  919.0 KB
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I love scrap quilts, try not to have any 2 fabrics alike.I love the old antique look.

Blog Entries
    When I first started quilting I was not a big scappy fan...now I love them. I hate waste..and I love it when I put a quilt together with all of the scraps from all the many quilts that I have made...and I can say...oh that fabric was used in so and so's quilt...it brings smiles just thinking of all the fun quilts I have made.

I like scrappy quilts also but sometimes struggle with not having all the same colors together. However, I have found that trying to place and replace blocks usually ends up being too tedious. Just throw them out there and sew the rows together and it looks great. Quilting should be fun, don't stress about it.
    Mtn Mama

I can't decide if I like scrappy quilts or not - I'm much too anal and need things to be somewhat organized/coordinated, ya know? However, I have seen some scrappy quilts that I do like because they seem a bit more cohesive than just random all over. I appreciate the work that goes into them and Lord knows I have a HUGE container of scraps that I need to do *something* with, so I'm always on the lookout for a scrappy pattern that will both use up my scraps but not so scrappy that it will drive me insane lol

I like to do scrappy quilts because they tell a story of your past sewing. I made a bow-tie quilt using only material that I used to sew my childrens clothes or pieces from quilts I had made, or any fabric that had a "past". One block has green and pink frogs from a little jumper I made my daughter when she was three. LOL It sits on my quilt stand in my living room. My adult children call it the Memory quilt. I hope it is one thing they all want when I am no longer on this earth.

One more thing about scrappy quilts. When my mom passed away, my sisters and I cleaned out her sewing room. My one sister, who would not know a half square triangle, from a nine patch, wanted to throw my mom's collection of scraps away. I grabbed them from her, and put them in a safe place to take home and treasure. I am now working on organizing them, and have a few quilts in the making. As I said in my earlier post, scrap quilts have a story, and the quilts that come from my mom's scraps will be much more special, as she had laid her hands on them.

Blog Entries
    Need scrappy inspiration~click here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html

I am a huge fan of scrappies... infact its an addiction. I struggled to get past the need to know exactly where each and every fabric was going to be in the quilt. Once I "let go" it was very liberating.
    I finally adopted a scrappy method that suits me.. I toss all the fabrics scraps on the floor.. stand back about 6 feet .. then remove the ones screaming at me "I don't belong here" and put in a seperate pile... very often that "other" pile is one that makes its own scrappy. The pile I want to work with I then seperate into lights , darks, medium.. and go from there to pick my pattern. The pattern comes from what size scraps will be used most efficiently.
    The addiction is so bad .. I have actually traded yardage for a premium box of scraps.
    Last edited by Lori S; 11-18-2012 at 06:51 AM.

I love scrap quilts and that is mostly what I make. I have a really hard time making a quilt with limited fabrics...I get bored...I like being able to see how the different fabrics end up as I sew them.

I love scrappy, but also admit to having to have some control over the colour placement. I think it is a fine line and works for me. lol
    Patti

The first few scrappies I made were controlled. Now I have made some with darks in one bag and lights in the other and just pull out a piece and go for it. I do both controlled and random. Both are fun and I am to practical to throw away usable pieces of fabric. Scrappies feel almost like free quilts.

Blog Entries
    I love scrappy quilts and hate to waste any fabric but I too try to control the layout sometimes you have to just walk away and say it looks fine and go with it. I have a scrappy king size on the frame to quilt from 2008. I just got anew used frame so now I can finish all the quilts I start way back when. Don't know how to put pic in or I would do that. Since the change to this new way I'm lost.
    Last edited by crazyquilter56; 11-18-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Once you met me you"ll never forget me....Jean

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I definitely think scrappy has a place of honor in quilting.
    Absolutely! I can look at antique and vintage scrappy quilts all day long! I prefer a more controlled scrappy look but definately hold great respect for the old ones!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I am not a big fan of either scrappy OR 'matchy-matchy'. I love pulling a whole lot of fabrics from my stash and forming a collection to use (like what you see in my avatar...) I consider that a huge part of the "art" of it-- the selection, picking fabrics that "sing" together. For me, scrappy is a cacophony.
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 11-18-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I separate my scraps into three piles when I get around to sorting them children, women, and men. Then when I decide to make a scrappy quilt I go to the designated box and make a quilt! This works best for me. I have a go to quilt pattern called "Magic Square" and it works well for this method. Since I only make quilts for girls, I haven't had to make a boy or girl pile as of yet. Happy quilting!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Scrappy quilts have become my favorites. I love seeing all the beautiful bits of fabrics.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    For one quilt, put the scraps you will be using into a large paper bag.
    Draw from the bag without looking and USE that scrap. No putting it back into the collection; use it right where it was intended to be!

MAKE yourself do this just one time in your life because it is very liberating, very educational, AND surprisingly rewarding in the end.

We can all learn about ourselves, about our SELF-imposed limitations, and personal messages in our heads. About how we can adapt, and improve, and move more openly and generously through life, if we will piece just one good sized, randomly selected, totally scrappy quilt in our lifetime. And then determine to really like it!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I love scrap quilts. I particularly like the ones where you just pick up pieces and sew them together. I like the feeling of freedom and, of course, I really like the feeling of getting something "free".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast