Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Blog Entries

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

I know most of you are going to think I'm looney, but, I just do not like the batiks. I don't know why, they just are not my thing. Is there anyone else out there who shares my dislike of them or am I the only one? I read and see, how many of you use and rave about the batiks and I just can't get worked up about them. I have spent quite a lot of time in the fabric stores looking and touching them, hoping it was something I could overcome. Hope!!! SO,I was just wondering if I am in this boat alone or if others are sinking with me? Ha Ha.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Sorry. I can't agree with you. I LOVE batiks, and am drawn to them b/4 anything else. I think they add such interest to a quilt, giving an interesting dimension. I tend to use prints, and the batiks are so much better than a non-patterned fabric to break up the prints.
    Terri

I happen to love them, too...BUT, be happy you don't like them...they are just one more thing that reaches in to grab your money!

Blog Entries
    I agree, I love batiks, it seams like I can't get enough of them.
    Barb

I agree with you vondae. I do admit there are a few batiks that I like, not love, but definately not all!!!! I think for me it is the colour combination on some and some just look 'dirty' to me. Let's just say Ive only used them once (pink colours) on a quilt. Maybe someday I will learn to love them too!

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    While I absolutely LOVE batiks (I am doing a charm DQ using them, and found I have about 150 different ones ... sigh) no one says everyone has to love them. Personally I find myself absolutely not drawn to neutrals, esp. beiges, whites ... I have to FORCE myself to buy them when I absolutely need some for a project. If we all liked the same thing, think how boring that would be - and in the meantime, if you don't care for them, that leaves all the more for me (like I need any more ... )
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I have to agree with you, vondae. For some reason, batiks just do not "inspire" me like prints. But hey, there's something out there for everybody, and kudos to those who love them!!

I think I'm in trouble!! There isn't any fabric that I don't like. I love batiks, white on whites, and cream on cream. I could go on and on. Oh, there are some that I can leave on the shelf for now, but I love them all. Yes, I think I'm in trouble and need a 12 step program or something. HELP
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I use to not care for batiks until I bought a fat quarter bundle on sale. The reason I love them now? No wrong side. I guess an expert could tell, but I can't. They are great for paper piecing projects. I buy a lot of batiks now.
    Got fabric?

I don't like them because they are hard for me to look at. Some things just give me instant eye strain and that is one of them! Bargellos are another thing that I avoid because it is just plain hard for me to look at them.

I don't hate them and while I see many beautiful quilts made with them I worry too much about getting the right combination. I have a couple of batik 2 1/2" rolls so they are already matched up but I won't go to the trouble of coordinating them myself. Besides they are more costly than other cotton fabrics. I find plenty of wonderful fabrics without venturing into the batiks.
    jackie

Power Poster
    I like batiks for raw edge applique. They are more dense and the edges don't fray like regular fabric. If you're into fusible applique they are wonderful. I imagine they would not be fun for needle turn applique but I don't know. I like them better in a quilt totally done from batiks. I like them okay mixed with other fabrics. I don't tend to use the larger print fabrics that are the rage right now. I like them, I just don't think they look the best in intricate piecing designs. If I had a choice between batiks and big designs for a quilt, I would go with batiks. I haven't met a fabric yet that I really dislike.

While I'm not a lover of batiks, I'm not a hater of them either. It just depends on what colors I'm looking for. I've mixed them with non-batiks in some quilts and I'm just finishing up a log cabin of nothing but (only 2 fabrics though) batiks. Plus the backing. Was surprised as to how linty these were and they are good quality (Hoffman) fabrics.

I agree Vondae! It's all personal choices but I cannot stand batiks! Sometimes I wish I did as they come in such a wide range of shades but I feel like they often end up looking dated. And not in a good (retro/vintage) way like reproduction fabrics, more like a 90's throwback. There's no point forcing yourself to use something you don't like, there's so much else out there you can always find something good!

I absolutely love...love....love them. I love their variation in color tones, the fact that you can have a piece of fabric and make squares that look different.....and even their stiffness.....makes my blocks seem more substantial.

Blog Entries
    I am absolutely addicted to batiks. Every quilt I make seems to wind up with batik fabric somewhere. I have yardage fabrics, layer cakes, charm squares, jelly rolls, etc. My sweet DH actually bought a bunch of tonga treature precuts for me for Chanukah!!!

My only problem is I have trouble determining which is the right side. Any advice?
    Kathryn Bishburg
    Traditionally-built Norwegian lady

I am in agreement with you. I just don't care for them personally. I guess I am too old fashioned but I love the 30's fabrics, the civil war fabrics, etc. but just haven't got the hang of the Batiks. Maybe I will grow into them someday but not right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kbishburg View Post
    I am absolutely addicted to batiks. Every quilt I make seems to wind up with batik fabric somewhere. I have yardage fabrics, layer cakes, charm squares, jelly rolls, etc. My sweet DH actually bought a bunch of tonga treature precuts for me for Chanukah!!!

My only problem is I have trouble determining which is the right side. Any advice?
    One reason I like batiks is that there is no discernible right and wrong side on most of them. Another reason I like them is that they are very dense, yet have just that little bit of stretch that makes them really easy to work with. I tend to pick the tone on tone ones rather than the multicolor, but do have plenty of those too, because they work really well to blend from one to another.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    I Love batik's, but don't think there is something wrong with you if you don't. To each her own. Grace
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Thank God, I'm not the only one who dislikes batiks. I bought some Tonga's a few years ago and have a kit with batiks, plus fq, but I can't bring myself to touch them. There's just something about them I don't like. I should just give it all away because ill never use any of it. Also, I have a box full of fq Asian print that I don't like either. I have probably 40 fq and will never use them. Should give those away also.

I love batiks and I love Asian fabrics too.

I love the fabric feel, weave and patterns. However, I can see the wrong side but you have to work at it.

However...my DH is asking why I make so many quilts with them as he wants a 1930's repro quilt. So I will do one for him even though I hate, hate, hate those fabrics.

That's why it's so great that there are so many fabrics out there - something for everybody.

I love, love, love them!!! They are my second biggest stash. The first is Asian fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Everyone has their own favorites. I LOVE batiks...the good quality ones with the clearer designs. I don't care for the ones that look like blobs of wax were dumped on them. I'm not a fan of Civil War fabrics and dislike most of the drab collections, such as Moda's. Batiks make good blender fabrics. They can mix well with regular quilting prints too. Use what makes you happy!

Blog Entries
    I can take them or leave them. Honestly, I don't know what all the hub-bub is all about! If the color goes along with what I'm making, then I'll purchase it and use it. Looking at my stash, I think there's only a few batiks, and I've got a decent stash! None of the bolts of fabric that "I just HAD to have" are batik!

One of my dearest friends absolutely LOVES batiks. I don't see what the big deal is with them. If you feel them, they are not as soft as other fabrics, or as thick.
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    I love batiks too. I am just drawn to every little color that comes out of each fabric piece. I hope I live long enough to use up my huge stash of it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast