Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I feel like such a fraud

Blog Entries

Question I feel like such a fraud

I'm not really a quilter. But I keep getting drawn into quilt projects. Here is the thing. There was this class at the lqs to teach 3D flowers (in this case Hydrangas). Well I'm trying to decorate my bedroom in all shades of greens, cream and brown. And I figured if I used the green blues this wallhanging could be used for the wall behind the chesterdrawers. So off I went...and into trouble, I got.

The directions call for quilting around a grouping of leaves. It is a 3ft x 3ft wallhanging. How do I do this by machine please? Do I use the walking foot or would something else be better. And at this point I don't even know what questions to ask. I've hand quilted or sent my quilts out to be quilted before this. So I'm completely lost.

I really need to know because there are two other classes that I would just love to take. One is another 3D flower class with a variety of flowers taught. And the other is an Art Quilt Landscape that has me intrigued. I've really got the bug doing I?

You could do free motion quilting and use a darning foot or a "big foot" but not a walking foot. It restricts the fabric and foot too much. Practice on another piece and do the squiggles and stuff. It will be great. Don't be afraid to try it, you may find you really enjoy it after all!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look and see if I have a darning foot.

Good advice.....and practice, practice, practice!!!
    Linda

If you're like me, I can't FMQ for the life of me, but I've gotten really good at maneuvering my walking foot around and quilting that way. I drive my quilt around with both hands while the walking foot is doing it's thing. Good luck.
    The one who dies with the most fabric wins.

Also, don't forget to drop your feed dogs!

Blog Entries
    Give free motion quilting a go by all means but if you're like me I find it very difficult. There are other ways to quilt though. You could echo the shape of your leaves by stiting in rows around the leaves. You could do a number of straight line patterns like cross hatching. Here's a site that might help you with some FMQ patterns if you decide to do it. There is even a free ebook to download.
    http://www.linda-matthews.com/free-m...ting-patterns/
    Mrs B There is nothing that can't be improved with gold glitter

Blog Entries
    if this was a class you need to consult with your instructor about how to finish this quilt. and tell us what the directions say so we can help you more. sometimes small pieces of fabric are laid out and something like tule is laid over it and that stitched down by machine to hold all the pieces. good luck.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

And repeat after me: "I am NOT a fraud!" If you have completed quilt tops, handquilted some and sent others out to be quilted, you ARE a quilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sew N Tune View Post
    If you're like me, I can't FMQ for the life of me, but I've gotten really good at maneuvering my walking foot around and quilting that way. I drive my quilt around with both hands while the walking foot is doing it's thing. Good luck.

I don't undertand how you quilt maneuvering the walking foot around. Do you make designs that way and do you have to drop the feed dogs?

Lucy

Blog Entries
    Maybe just saying to the instructor or LQS operator that this class is more advanced than you thought it would be and need some more explainations on some parts of the project. The shop or teacher will probably be more than pleased to help you out. Good luck.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

oh yes your hooked----welcome--how about hand quilting arround the leaves--if you do machine srart with a practice piece--unpick8ing mistakes is a nightmare[yes i did it]

Always remember it is YOUR wall hanging and actually you can do it however you want so practice, find a stitch you like and go for it! LOL

Blog Entries
    Ok, I'm not a fraud. But i'm more interested in the finished project that the process. Does that make sense?

I'd like to hear more about the maneuvering the walking foot around the quilt. That sounds like something I might be able to figure out.

I can't get any kind of regular stitch length with the free motion thing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When you use the walking foot you do not drop the feed dogs. One method is to do some echo quilting around the shapes in your quilt.

Sounds like you like to take classes - why not take a class on quilting?

Quote Originally Posted by luce321 View Post

I don't undertand how you quilt maneuvering the walking foot around. Do you make designs that way and do you have to drop the feed dogs?

Lucy
    I, too, quilt with my walking foot. It is sometimes slow going on really curvy parts (stitch, stitch, turn fabric...) but I do a much better job. You do not drop the feed dogs. I trace my quilt design onto Golden Threads, tape that to my quilt top and start. Don't be afraid, just start.
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

Blog Entries
    First off you are not a fraud. You can finish it with a simple stipple pr meandering stitch but not with a walking foot.

first, take a couple really deep breaths, and relax...you have several choices that are open to you to try...you can do this by hand, you can outline quilt, you can try free motion, you could have someone else finish or do that part for you. personally, swallow your pride and fear, take it to the class instructor and get her advise-and ask her to show you how to do it. i have been quilting all my life and there are always things that pop up that i have trouble doing or understanding how to do it. besides, if you dont ask the teacher than your money is being wasted on the lesson.

Blog Entries
    I did my first machine quilting today. I made a potholder since that seemed about the right size to get me going. I figured out a couple of things. One, the walking foot works better for geometric shapes than for organic for me. Two, That using a binding finish isn't something I like to do. That I'm going to use a trellis pattern for the background. And that the thread I had at the house was rotten. Is there some way to figure that out before it's on the bobbin and has broken a half a dozen times?

Blog Entries
    I could go to Carol and ask her to show me. But she is a new business owner (just bought a LQS) and she is busy just trying to keep up with all the demands that makes. As far as the instructor. She was just there for that 4 hour class she isn't a member of the staff. And I have to say I'd rather work at home than constantly carry my sewing machine into town. I live out in the country.

There are a lot of good suggestions here. Good luck with whatever you do. Please post a photo when you finish.

Good luck. I would try the FMQ with a darning foot. If not then quilt with a walking foot, stopping and starting as you make your turns. Lots of practice makes a quilter out of you. YOU ARE NOT A FRAUD! You are a newby!!!!!
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

You're not a fraud!! We all have questions and you asked yours! But like others say, you hand quilted and sent out to be quilted so you ARE a quilter!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!