Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this seem reasonable?

Does this seem reasonable?

I was puttering around eBay and found this listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1111wt_782
    (I have no association with this seller! )

Would/has anyone used an eBay listing for LAQ services? The storefront has 100% positive feedback for more than 2000 transactions.
    I just want a couple of tops finished fast for a good price, and though there don't seem to be lots of options, this looks like it fits the bill.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Very interesting! I never would have thought of eBay as a place to find LAQ. There are a few of them on there - search for long arm quilting. Others have better reviews of their LAQ techniques - I would check them all out if that is the route you plan on going. Meghan

I wouldn't but that's just me...I'm not that trusting! Good luck!! Hope it works out for you!!
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    Wow, I'd be really nervous. First of all, I'd prefer to see a website where the quilter has lots of pictures of his/her work. I'd want to talk to other quilters who have used this person's services. I'd want to talk to the quilter and get a feel for how he/she deals with issues and difficulties with the quilt, how experienced they are, etc. I prefer face-to-face meetings so he/she can see the quilt and any possible issues with it, and we can discuss pattern, batting, quilting density, etc., and also so I can get a feel for his/her personality and competency.

If I was going to use this quilter, I think I'd start with something that wasn't that important to me, so I can get a feel for this quilter's skill level. $35 for a twin seems awfully cheap to me.

That is very reasonable. I am a long armer and I won't do a 6400 sq inch quilt for that price. I'd be a little hesitant. Postage both ways would have to be considered.

As suggested, I did search LAQ on eBay.
    This store isn't the only one offering it at really low prices.
    I don't know a single person who quilts, that's why I rely on the experts here at QB!

I would use someone from this QB before I would use ebay. I have used Charisma and was very happy, but I know there are a lot of them on here...maybe under resources?

If I were to try using someone on ebay, I would send ONLY ONE first.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm wondering .....just check it out first.
    Questions to consider:
    1. references
    2. how much does the price go up when the size is larger
    3. do you have color choice
    4. pattern choices...does cost go up?
    I would absolutely want to be able to contact references....does it include batting (what kind)?
    I know several ppl in my area who do quilting very reasonably....but maybe not all up to my standards...just sayin' !
    Good luck!
    ​Connie aka Chigger Holler Quilter

Just remember you get what you pay for. Let us know if it works out for you, but I would ask for references or send a quilt that doesn't have a lot of meaning and is just going to be a "for comfort only quilt".
    Patimint

Power Poster
    What are the shipping rates? Sometimes those can really raise the price of an item. Is there information on what kind of atmosphere the quilt will be quilted in? Smokefree, petfree etc. It will be considerablly heavier to ship back to you and might be pricey?

Quote Originally Posted by patimint View Post
    Just remember you get what you pay for. Let us know if it works out for you, but I would ask for references or send a quilt that doesn't have a lot of meaning and is just going to be a "for comfort only quilt".
    Absolutely. As a LAer, I would not be able to quilt for others that cheaply, even for a end to end panto. Her price works out to be a little over 1/2 cent per s/i which is about half what most LAers charge for a simple end to end. The design looks fairly open so not much quilting there. That may be one reason why it is so little. I am wondering if there are hidden charges like loading fees, bobbins, etc. Even if not I would still be suspect at that lowball of a price.

While the price of the actual quilting is reasonable, you have to add in the cost of shipping both ways. There is no choice of pattern either....you get what you see. You also have to send backing and batting. The LA quilter has 100% good feedback, so it seems previous customers are satisfied. I would never ship a quilt out to be quilted....too many get lost in transit. I would much rather drive a bit to hand deliver....and there is a list on the board of LA quilters, so you might find one very close to you!

I only briefly entertained the idea.
    More than anything, I wondered how this LA'er (and a few others I noted after a search) offer an all over design for near the same price. All the listings from different people are open about what they provide and what is the burden of the purchaser. Some provide shipping, some charge the sender.
    If this were one ad, I'd chalk it up to a scam, if, as the LA'ers here say it costs more than 1/2 cent per inch to quilt. But, there are 5 or 6 I could identify that were in the same price range.
    Now I'm just curious how they are making enough money to get by.
    Can someone point me to this list of LA'ers?

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS.. COULD BE GOOD, BUT. the only person i trust on line and on this board is Charisma. She has done a quilt for me and I know her work. It is beautiful and well done. Look her up on this board. well worth the time..

Power Poster
    The members that offer their services are listed under Home. Start at Main and look down the list until you come to the title... Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale. Click on that title and it lists Sub Forum and under that Title/Thread Starter. You will see a Sticky that reads....Quiltingboard members who offer Professional Quilting Services... click on that for a list of names and locations.

This is kind of scary. I would use someone on the board. Be very carefull.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I have used several quilters on EBay, first one was very cheap and not so good, then found a wonderful Quilter in Michigan who did several very nice ones for me at a reasonable price. Most recently found someone thru EBay who lives close enough to drop off and avoid shipping hassles "rsphoto2". His EBay price is less than his regular quilting prices and I was happy with the quilt.

Blog Entries
    One suggestion would be to send a smaller quilt to her that isn't really important to you to see how she does; and how you like dealing with her. She ( or whomever you choose in this manner) might be the best thing that ever happened to you!
    Gayle of Grammagayles

I would check with your LQS for a LAQ , they usually have cards from several in the area.
    I'm not trusting enough to gamble on anything with eBay.
    Postage alone will cost alot to send your quilts.

From what I could tell in the pictures it's not very good quilting. I think I could do better and I'm not a LAQer. I would be very skeptical of using them. You get what you pay for.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

So you are paying $35 + $24 to have a twin quilted. I guess that is good and probably right on target. The local LAQ does hers for $015 per square inch which is $108, so guess that is okay. I'd check out some of the other ones especially those here n the board and see what they would charge. Remember that is probably fo a non-pattern quilting.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Most of that person's reviews are based on selling fabric, so I would be cautious. I found another one who's reviews are on the quilting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAND-GUIDED-...#ht_500wt_1156

I definitely agree with doing some research and asking for references. Aren't there any LA quilters near you? What about asking at a LQS or a quilt guild? I would also research those referrals, but at least they would be local, though I know people who have sent quilts out of state for quilting.

missouri star quilt company know does laqquilting also.

Blog Entries
    I'd be leary, but that's just me.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast