Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Washing does seem to crinkle up a quilt -

Power Poster

Washing does seem to crinkle up a quilt -

I was talking to someone and she told me that she had a special quilt custom quilted.

After it was washed, it just crinkled up and a lot of the detail of the quilting was no longer discernible.

(Which does go with the - "after it's quilted, no one will notice small imperfections")

Do people that exhibit quilts wash them before showing?

If yes, how do they get them "flat" again"

I prefer a "flattish" look - and my quilts are "fairly flat" after washing and drying them, but I do not have the inclination or space to block them.

Could they be "pressed/ironed" flat to sort of look "new" if i was so inclined?

Power Poster
    I do wash my quilts and put them in the dryer until just damp. I then spread them out on the carpet in my spare room to finish drying. I will sometimes use rust proof pins along the binding to stretch and block a quilt to the carpet if it needs it.

Imho, I think it really depends on the batting used as far as crinkly vintage look vs remaining relatively flat with the design more visible. When I use cotton I get the more crinkly/vintage look that I like, but when I use polyester batting the quilt design is more visible. I’m sure someone with far more expertise will chime in and give better info.
    Lisa

I believe most quilts aren't washed before being entered in a show. I don't see how one could be flattened out again once washed. I also would prefer a flatter look, but my quilts always crinkle even though I preshrink my batting and fabric and dry flat (but I have not tried polyester batting).
    Lisa

I always wash a quilt after the binding is sewn on. When a quilt is used the crinkles do stretch out. Crinkles is what I like about homemade quilts. Otherwise I would buy store boughten quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I don't wash quilts before showing them. If they need to be blocked I wet them with room temp water and pin them to my design wall to dry. That way they don't get crinkled and the quilting really stands out.

Rob
    Last edited by rryder; 04-28-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

A national show winner told me she put a lightweight fusible stabilizer on the back of her quilt top and backing to keep it perfectly smooth and it won't stretch or give when it is being quilted.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was told my a couple of national level quilters that win big at big shows that they use mostly poly bat (doesn't hold creases as much as cotton or wool) and don't wash before entry.

I have been told not to wash a quilt before entering in a show. I also prefer a less crinkly look, so I prewash all fabrics and prewash batting and dry in a hot dryer to minimize shrinkage after using it in a quilt. Although I prefer the weight and feel of cotton batting, I find poly batting stays much flatter too.

Blog Entries
    I agree poly is better for avoiding wrinkles than cotton. I have ironed place mats and table runners if they wrinkle and then they look the way I want them to.

I use the Hobbs Wool batting and find it does not create as much wrinkles as the cotton. I typically wash in cool and lay to dry.

The crinkly look has its charm and really makes the quilt look cozy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
    I use the Hobbs Wool batting and find it does not create as much wrinkles as the cotton. I typically wash in cool and lay to dry.

The crinkly look has its charm and really makes the quilt look cozy.
    I've found the same with Hobbs wool.