Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks-Love or Hate Them >

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 AM

I don't hate them and while I see many beautiful quilts made with them I worry too much about getting the right combination. I have a couple of batik 2 1/2" rolls so they are already matched up but I won't go to the trouble of coordinating them myself. Besides they are more costly than other cotton fabrics. I find plenty of wonderful fabrics without venturing into the batiks.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I like batiks for raw edge applique. They are more dense and the edges don't fray like regular fabric. If you're into fusible applique they are wonderful. I imagine they would not be fun for needle turn applique but I don't know. I like them better in a quilt totally done from batiks. I like them okay mixed with other fabrics. I don't tend to use the larger print fabrics that are the rage right now. I like them, I just don't think they look the best in intricate piecing designs. If I had a choice between batiks and big designs for a quilt, I would go with batiks. I haven't met a fabric yet that I really dislike.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM

While I'm not a lover of batiks, I'm not a hater of them either. It just depends on what colors I'm looking for. I've mixed them with non-batiks in some quilts and I'm just finishing up a log cabin of nothing but (only 2 fabrics though) batiks. Plus the backing. Was surprised as to how linty these were and they are good quality (Hoffman) fabrics.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 AM

I agree Vondae! It's all personal choices but I cannot stand batiks! Sometimes I wish I did as they come in such a wide range of shades but I feel like they often end up looking dated. And not in a good (retro/vintage) way like reproduction fabrics, more like a 90's throwback. There's no point forcing yourself to use something you don't like, there's so much else out there you can always find something good!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM

I absolutely love...love....love them. I love their variation in color tones, the fact that you can have a piece of fabric and make squares that look different.....and even their stiffness.....makes my blocks seem more substantial.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM

I am absolutely addicted to batiks. Every quilt I make seems to wind up with batik fabric somewhere. I have yardage fabrics, layer cakes, charm squares, jelly rolls, etc. My sweet DH actually bought a bunch of tonga treature precuts for me for Chanukah!!!

My only problem is I have trouble determining which is the right side. Any advice?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM

I am in agreement with you. I just don't care for them personally. I guess I am too old fashioned but I love the 30's fabrics, the civil war fabrics, etc. but just haven't got the hang of the Batiks. Maybe I will grow into them someday but not right now.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kbishburg View Post
I am absolutely addicted to batiks. Every quilt I make seems to wind up with batik fabric somewhere. I have yardage fabrics, layer cakes, charm squares, jelly rolls, etc. My sweet DH actually bought a bunch of tonga treature precuts for me for Chanukah!!!

My only problem is I have trouble determining which is the right side. Any advice?
One reason I like batiks is that there is no discernible right and wrong side on most of them. Another reason I like them is that they are very dense, yet have just that little bit of stretch that makes them really easy to work with. I tend to pick the tone on tone ones rather than the multicolor, but do have plenty of those too, because they work really well to blend from one to another.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM

I Love batik's, but don't think there is something wrong with you if you don't. To each her own. Grace
Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Thank God, I'm not the only one who dislikes batiks. I bought some Tonga's a few years ago and have a kit with batiks, plus fq, but I can't bring myself to touch them. There's just something about them I don't like. I should just give it all away because ill never use any of it. Also, I have a box full of fq Asian print that I don't like either. I have probably 40 fq and will never use them. Should give those away also.