Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   seam allowances for hst's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seam-allowances-hsts-t145068.html)

BECOOLWRAPS 08-14-2011 07:29 AM

I am having some real trouble getting the 1/4" seam allowance needed for half square triangles - Does anyone have a hint or a tip which might help.
Thanks
Terry

QuiltE 08-14-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
I am having some real trouble getting the 1/4" seam allowance needed for half square triangles - Does anyone have a hint or a tip which might help.
Thanks
Terry

I make the HST larger, and then trim to the precise size!

auntpiggylpn 08-14-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
Thanks
Terry

I make the HST larger, and then trim to the precise size!

AMEN sister!!! :thumbup:

sueisallaboutquilts 08-14-2011 07:41 AM

Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.

auntpiggylpn 08-14-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.

There is nothing better than Mary Ellen's Best Press! I water mine down with the same results as full strength and that makes it last a long time!!!

lovequilts 08-14-2011 07:53 AM

You can also check out Triangles on a roll. I use this all the time and my HST turn out absoutly perfect. You can order on line and the rolls last a long time. Saves time in marking you sewing lines and very little waste. I also starch mine with Mary Ellen's.

ckcowl 08-14-2011 07:56 AM

try putting your two squares right sides together- draw a diagonal line- corner to corner- stitch 1/4" on each side of the line- cut on the line= 2 perfect 1/2 square triangle blocks.

QuiltE 08-14-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
You can also check out Triangles on a roll. I use this all the time and my HST turn out absoutly perfect. You can order on line and the rolls last a long time. Saves time in marking you sewing lines and very little waste. I also starch mine with Mary Ellen's.

Thangles is a similar method ... and also you can get some copycat versions online that you can print for free.

TjNurse93 08-14-2011 08:21 AM

I am glad to read this information as I am fixing to make a queen size quilt that is entirely half square triangles and I am a bit worried how it is going to come together. But I am still going to do it! :)

hopetoquilt 08-14-2011 09:08 AM

There is a method where you create a tube and use a triangle ruler to cut a bunch of them. I think it is a Missouri Star tutorial video.