Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: seam allowances for hst's

  1. #1
    community benefactor BECOOLWRAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Abbotsford, BC CANADA
    Posts
    107
    I am having some real trouble getting the 1/4" seam allowance needed for half square triangles - Does anyone have a hint or a tip which might help.
    Thanks
    Terry

  2. #2
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
    I am having some real trouble getting the 1/4" seam allowance needed for half square triangles - Does anyone have a hint or a tip which might help.
    Thanks
    Terry
    I make the HST larger, and then trim to the precise size!

  3. #3
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
    I am having some real trouble getting the 1/4" seam allowance needed for half square triangles - Does anyone have a hint or a tip which might help.
    Thanks
    Terry
    I make the HST larger, and then trim to the precise size!
    AMEN sister!!! :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.

  5. #5
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.
    There is nothing better than Mary Ellen's Best Press! I water mine down with the same results as full strength and that makes it last a long time!!!

  6. #6
    Super Member lovequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,018
    You can also check out Triangles on a roll. I use this all the time and my HST turn out absoutly perfect. You can order on line and the rolls last a long time. Saves time in marking you sewing lines and very little waste. I also starch mine with Mary Ellen's.

  7. #7
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    try putting your two squares right sides together- draw a diagonal line- corner to corner- stitch 1/4" on each side of the line- cut on the line= 2 perfect 1/2 square triangle blocks.

  8. #8
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts
    You can also check out Triangles on a roll. I use this all the time and my HST turn out absoutly perfect. You can order on line and the rolls last a long time. Saves time in marking you sewing lines and very little waste. I also starch mine with Mary Ellen's.
    Thangles is a similar method ... and also you can get some copycat versions online that you can print for free.

  9. #9
    Junior Member TjNurse93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC to AZ
    Posts
    137
    I am glad to read this information as I am fixing to make a queen size quilt that is entirely half square triangles and I am a bit worried how it is going to come together. But I am still going to do it! :)

  10. #10
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    There is a method where you create a tube and use a triangle ruler to cut a bunch of them. I think it is a Missouri Star tutorial video.

  11. #11
    community benefactor BECOOLWRAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Abbotsford, BC CANADA
    Posts
    107
    Thanks for the ideas - I am looking into the triangulations program and the thangles.
    Terry

  12. #12
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
    Thanks for the ideas - I am looking into the triangulations program and the thangles.
    Terry
    Here's one
    http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html
    and I also believe there are HST printouts on
    http://www.quilterscache.com

    Plus ... you could always make your own!

  13. #13
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,744
    I had trouble w/HSTs until I started used Mary Ellen's instead of regular spray starch. That stuff is magic. Use it all the time now.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Charleen DiSante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    near Boston, MA
    Posts
    995
    Sometimes, after I have made the HST's where you put two squares together and stitch 1/4 " from each side of the diagonal line you draw on the lighter square, when I cut them apart, they don't necessarily have the 1/4 " seam but they are the right size. Hope that's clear. Haven't had my morning cup-a-joe. :)

  15. #15
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    Sometimes, after I have made the HST's where you put two squares together and stitch 1/4 " from each side of the diagonal line you draw on the lighter square, when I cut them apart, they don't necessarily have the 1/4 " seam but they are the right size. Hope that's clear. Haven't had my morning cup-a-joe. :)
    If that is happening, then you mustn't be stitching 1/4" on each side of the line!

    I tend to keep mine a little narrower ... and then it lets me trim and square it up for precision!

  16. #16
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,496
    I use a "scant" 1/4" seam.

  17. #17
    Super Member Deb watkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Horseheads, NY 14845
    Posts
    4,018
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    try putting your two squares right sides together- draw a diagonal line- corner to corner- stitch 1/4" on each side of the line- cut on the line= 2 perfect 1/2 square triangle blocks.
    I also use this method, but move my needle just a tad towards the right of center, this works for me.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.
    There is nothing better than Mary Ellen's Best Press! I water mine down with the same results as full strength and that makes it last a long time!!!
    May I ask how much water to put in to dilute it in what size bottle? Very interested. I have found I love this stuff to iron with period. I don't have that many clothes that have to be ironed tho.

  19. #19
    Super Member running1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clinton, OK
    Posts
    1,629
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    try putting your two squares right sides together- draw a diagonal line- corner to corner- stitch 1/4" on each side of the line- cut on the line= 2 perfect 1/2 square triangle blocks.
    This is how I make them... and I'm a novice... they come out really nice... To make Quarter square triangles, you simply repeat the process... Place the two HSTs right sides together, draw a line perpendicular to the seam from corner to corner, sew 1/4" on each side of the line, then cut on the line...

    The only thing is, I can't remember how large to make the original block to get the size HST or QST you need... My QSTs started out as 6 1/2" blocks and ended up 6" blocks... I guess the 1/4" seams explains that... (not a math person..sigh)

    Just finished the blocks for a dog bed out of old jeans using this technique...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.