Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
seam allowances for hst's >

seam allowances for hst's

seam allowances for hst's

Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the ideas - I am looking into the triangulations program and the thangles.
Terry
Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
Thanks for the ideas - I am looking into the triangulations program and the thangles.
Terry
Here's one
http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html
and I also believe there are HST printouts on
http://www.quilterscache.com

Plus ... you could always make your own!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM

I had trouble w/HSTs until I started used Mary Ellen's instead of regular spray starch. That stuff is magic. Use it all the time now.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 AM

Sometimes, after I have made the HST's where you put two squares together and stitch 1/4 " from each side of the diagonal line you draw on the lighter square, when I cut them apart, they don't necessarily have the 1/4 " seam but they are the right size. Hope that's clear. Haven't had my morning cup-a-joe. :)
Old 08-15-2011, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
Sometimes, after I have made the HST's where you put two squares together and stitch 1/4 " from each side of the diagonal line you draw on the lighter square, when I cut them apart, they don't necessarily have the 1/4 " seam but they are the right size. Hope that's clear. Haven't had my morning cup-a-joe. :)
If that is happening, then you mustn't be stitching 1/4" on each side of the line!

I tend to keep mine a little narrower ... and then it lets me trim and square it up for precision!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I use a "scant" 1/4" seam.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
try putting your two squares right sides together- draw a diagonal line- corner to corner- stitch 1/4" on each side of the line- cut on the line= 2 perfect 1/2 square triangle blocks.
I also use this method, but move my needle just a tad towards the right of center, this works for me.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.
There is nothing better than Mary Ellen's Best Press! I water mine down with the same results as full strength and that makes it last a long time!!!
May I ask how much water to put in to dilute it in what size bottle? Very interested. I have found I love this stuff to iron with period. I don't have that many clothes that have to be ironed tho.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
try putting your two squares right sides together- draw a diagonal line- corner to corner- stitch 1/4" on each side of the line- cut on the line= 2 perfect 1/2 square triangle blocks.
This is how I make them... and I'm a novice... they come out really nice... To make Quarter square triangles, you simply repeat the process... Place the two HSTs right sides together, draw a line perpendicular to the seam from corner to corner, sew 1/4" on each side of the line, then cut on the line...

The only thing is, I can't remember how large to make the original block to get the size HST or QST you need... My QSTs started out as 6 1/2" blocks and ended up 6" blocks... I guess the 1/4" seams explains that... (not a math person..sigh)

Just finished the blocks for a dog bed out of old jeans using this technique...