Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine in vehicle?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-vehicle-t201043.html)

LuvCreams 09-20-2012 02:08 PM

Sewing machine in vehicle??

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a sewing machine in a vehicle. Of coarse when vehicle is in park and not moving :)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-20-2012 02:19 PM

There are lots of folks on here who use them in RV's if that counts as a vehicle.

Tartan 09-20-2012 02:29 PM

Are you asking about an RV because unless you have a hand crank, you will need electricity. Some people on QB do take there machines to the trailer park and use them there.

Jim's Gem 09-20-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5528924)
Are you asking about an RV because unless you have a hand crank, you will need electricity. Some people on QB do take there machines to the trailer park and use them there.

Actually there are plug ins now for the cigarette lighter. My daughter has one and plugs in her laptop while someone else is driving. I have a friend that uses it to plug in a hair dryer, so it is possible to get the electricity you need.
I have never tried it. I don't see how I could get the machine in a comfortable position to actually be able to use it effectively.
I save hand sewing for when I am a passenger for a time.

Tothill 09-20-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 5529006)
Actually there are plug ins now for the cigarette lighter. My daughter has one and plugs in her laptop while someone else is driving. I have a friend that uses it to plug in a hair dryer, so it is possible to get the electricity you need.
I have never tried it. I don't see how I could get the machine in a comfortable position to actually be able to use it effectively.
I save hand sewing for when I am a passenger for a time.

I think you would find that a sewing machine would not run on the amount of electricity that would be available from a car battery on an inverter. A lap top uses much less electricity.

Unless you have a big bank of batteries and a way of recharging them (many RVers do, or they have full hook-ups) even if the car battery worked, you would drain it and not be able to start the car again.

There are lots and lots of RVers who take their sewing machines with them.

I have taken my sewing machine when I was staying at a cottage with some projects to work on.

Helen S 09-20-2012 04:37 PM

I would take a sewing machine in an RV, and have done so, but sewing in a car/truck/van sounds like a desperate person who needs to plan their time better? LOL

Bneighbor 09-20-2012 05:07 PM

I bought a machine just to keep in my motorhome. I bought a quilters tote with a 50% coupon from Joanne's. I bought 45 and 60 mm rotary cutters, cutting mat and the most popular size rulers, several pairs of scissors, and just about everything I would need to put together a sewing room...only in small scale. When we go to the racetrack I don't always have time to sew, but when there is rain, that little sewing room is a dream. I actually get more seeing done at the track than I do at home, no laundry, housework, etc to call me away. Like a sewing vacation.

sassey 09-20-2012 05:15 PM

Many truckers take their mahines with them I plugged into the generator when we were detained to load or unload made time go by faster

Bevsie 09-20-2012 05:19 PM

Hi,

I sew in my trailer all the time, but I have full hook ups....electricity. Sew all summer long at the lake.

Bev

Cindy60545 09-22-2012 03:02 AM

sassey is right. Some of us truckers take our machines with us (smaller machines, not our bigger computerized ones) & take any opportunity there is to sew. I used to carry mine in the truck all the time. I had a dedicated route so I could go to the LQS & take a lesson or just sew with the other quilters that were there. When I had some serious downtime, I would drag everything into the drivers lounge & sew. When I was loading or unloading I would do hand work or maybe do some cutting out of pieces to be sewn. Kept things progressing. We trucking quilters can get pretty creative when it comes to our quilting.