Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing scrap strips to PAPER (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-scrap-strips-paper-t114984.html)

rn2639 04-10-2011 08:22 AM

Hi yall

My friend go me a free roll of the exam table paper u see at the doctors office...the paper you sit on. Ha ha.
I have decided to use it to sew my strips onto!!! It tears really easy and I wont have to buy any muslin!

Whats your favorite "foundation" method? I love and welcome new ideas. I especially love them if it is something that saves me MONEY!
Have a great day...please comment :-)

erstan947 04-10-2011 08:26 AM

I am currently using used dryer sheets. It doesn't need to be removed. It becomes part of the quilt without adding noticeable weight to the quilt.

Lori S 04-10-2011 08:27 AM

I use .. used copy paper. One side is still free from print, so I just use a small stich , and it comes off just fine.

texpat45 04-10-2011 08:36 AM

I use paper foundations for my string blocks - just plain printer paper; easy to cut to 8 1/2" blocks or leave full size for neat looking rectangular string blocks. Where I live we don't need the extra layer of muslin for warmth so I don't waste money on foundation fabric!

TonnieLoree 04-10-2011 08:42 AM

Old phone book pages if it's just for scraps. Sometimes I use erasable typing paper if the pattern is very intricate. Most of the times, I just use plain copy paper. Edit: I forgot about parchment paper. Great stuff!

QuiltSage 04-10-2011 08:44 AM

My Mom told me she used newspaper "in the olden days". I think it would bleed ink onto the fabrics. I have used printer paper. Doctors exam paper would be really good because it would tear easier. But I like the idea of recycling something that has already served it's purpose elsewhere. I;m thinking used doctor office paper would NOT be good. Eeeewww.

janRN 04-10-2011 09:07 AM

Hopefully QuiltSage this is UNUSED exam table paper LOL! I've always used this for paper piecing and also for tracing quilting patterns. You can sew right thru it and it tears off easily. I like the kind that has a "crepe paper" feel to it. You can get a roll pretty cheaply at any medical supply store.

isnthatodd 04-10-2011 09:10 AM

I have recently started using dryer sheets more regularly, and like the idea of using them for scrappy foundations. I try not to throw away anything that could be re-purposed (hence my house sometimes looks like a recycle bin LOL).

CoventryUK 04-10-2011 09:18 AM

I'm stitching on adding machine roll! 3" wide using scraps! There was a Topic on this by Sue Fish! She has made fantastic quilts using this method!

raedar63 04-10-2011 10:07 AM

I got along well with phone book pages for the string quilts I made. I am trying to live more frugally and recycle what is free. I have a few phone books put back, it wouldn't surprise me if they quit putting phone books out soon.