Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-squares-t124333.html)

julie777 05-19-2011 03:35 PM

i sudenly remembered why i dont like sewing squares, i cant always match up seams now matter how i sew edges

cjomomma 05-19-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by julie777
i sudenly remembered why i dont like sewing squares, i cant always match up seams now matter how i sew edges

I have that same problem.

frugalfabrics 05-19-2011 03:42 PM

When I sew 4-patch square sets together, I always match the 2 pieces together from the center...that way the intersection of the 4 squares always looks good.

craftybear 05-19-2011 03:44 PM

great tip

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
When I sew 4-patch square sets together, I always match the 2 pieces together from the center...that way the intersection of the 4 squares always looks good.

julie777 05-19-2011 03:44 PM

i am sewing 9 2/12 inch squares together its so fun

erstan947 05-19-2011 03:46 PM

I like patterns that there is no matching. Some days I just can't get those pesky seams to line up!

hopetoquilt 05-19-2011 03:48 PM

A couple tips. First, make sure you press according to the directions b/c that helps the seams butt up against each other and line up the seams. Second, use big squares which are more forgiving. Last, if it is a little off, put your quilt on the floor, walk away for a while, come back and casually look at it. You probably won't even see the mistakes...

SherriB 05-19-2011 04:57 PM

That is a great idea!! I will have to remember that when I am working on my next 4 patch.

frugalfabrics 05-19-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB

That is a great idea!! I will have to remember that when I am working on my next 4 patch.

...and make sure your seams are going in opposite directions...like someone else mentioned. It helps the seams to butt up to each other so they come out perfect!

justwannaquilt 05-19-2011 05:12 PM

I do the same thing I always press everything so I have "locking" seams. once you start doing it, it kinda just comes natural and you don't even have to think about which way to press so your seams will all butt up to each other. I don't use alot of pins when I am quilting however when it comes to matching seams I always stick a pin in right at the intersection. A dot of glue and a tap from the iron is great for holding these seams together also. This way you know your seams are not going to budge while your sewing.