Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sewing squares

i sudenly remembered why i dont like sewing squares, i cant always match up seams now matter how i sew edges

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julie777
    i sudenly remembered why i dont like sewing squares, i cant always match up seams now matter how i sew edges
    I have that same problem.

When I sew 4-patch square sets together, I always match the 2 pieces together from the center...that way the intersection of the 4 squares always looks good.

Blog Entries
    great tip

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    When I sew 4-patch square sets together, I always match the 2 pieces together from the center...that way the intersection of the 4 squares always looks good.

i am sewing 9 2/12 inch squares together its so fun

Blog Entries
    I like patterns that there is no matching. Some days I just can't get those pesky seams to line up!

A couple tips. First, make sure you press according to the directions b/c that helps the seams butt up against each other and line up the seams. Second, use big squares which are more forgiving. Last, if it is a little off, put your quilt on the floor, walk away for a while, come back and casually look at it. You probably won't even see the mistakes...

Blog Entries
    That is a great idea!! I will have to remember that when I am working on my next 4 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    That is a great idea!! I will have to remember that when I am working on my next 4 patch.
    ...and make sure your seams are going in opposite directions...like someone else mentioned. It helps the seams to butt up to each other so they come out perfect!

I do the same thing I always press everything so I have "locking" seams. once you start doing it, it kinda just comes natural and you don't even have to think about which way to press so your seams will all butt up to each other. I don't use alot of pins when I am quilting however when it comes to matching seams I always stick a pin in right at the intersection. A dot of glue and a tap from the iron is great for holding these seams together also. This way you know your seams are not going to budge while your sewing.

I sometimes get in a hurry, and get a bit careless on my 1/4 seams, and I think that throws me off. Maybe that's part of it.

Great tips ... Tkx

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    If your seams aren't matching because the top fabric always seems to 'walk' a bit further than the bottom fabric, try pinning the center, pin the last edge, and piece with your walking foot.

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    I sometimes get in a hurry, and get a bit careless on my 1/4 seams, and I think that throws me off. Maybe that's part of it.
    That's definitely part of it. If your seams are not all exactly the same, corners will not match. Consistency is extremely important. Eleanor Burns says you can fudge a little and ease or stretch the piece to fit. The other suggestions of locking seams and using a pin are very good. I use a pin when I am sewing triangles. I learned this from Fons and Porter.

Blog Entries
    Thats exactly what I do. Just learned that tip recently.

I like to butt the two seams together and use two pins, one on each side of the intersecting seam to really hold it in place and prevent any shifting. I find that using two pins makes a difference and I seldom have seams that do not match.

Blog Entries
    I use a tiny dot of white glue in the seamline instead of pins; helps me line up intersections better. To do this, use Elmer's white washable school glue and seal the seam closed with the heat from an iron. Just make sure the dot is tiny; it doesn't take much to "glue pin" a seam.

Blog Entries
    I always butt my seams, but, some days that isn't even enough. So rather than rip out the whole seam, I put a couple of stitches at the seams, check to make sure they are aligned and then sew the whole block. I have also tried pinning the seams, but had trouble doing that to. By just sewing a couple of stitches over the seam, the worst that happens is I rip out couple of stitches instead of the whole thing.

A good investment is fork pins. They are two pins that hold each side of the seam allowance. I love them, but they are expensive.

Reading these, I can still hear Eleanor Burns saying, "wiggle, wiggle, wiggle" as she would match up two pieces with seams pressed opposite. That was in the good ol' days when I could still get PBS, (sigh).

press seams in opposite directions...interlock and I baste stitch...first...if OK then just sew reg stitch right over the baste stitch...If off just pull that baste stitch out in one thread and do over...Sew Simple

Blog Entries
    I used to have the same problem I now use 3/8 in instead of 1/4 in seam allowance it help me a great deal don't ask me how but it just did. I also pin my seams sometimes together if the quilt is for a gift and not personal use.

On John flynn's website he has a good tip for getting the 4 patch to line up perfectly. It really works!

Blog Entries
    I sew them together the same way. Also watch carefully when making a 9 patch or 4 patch that all seams face the same way.

I'm amazed at all this pinning and glueing going on. I'm quite a newby to quiltmaking but I hardly ever use pins but always press seams in different directions and they always snuggle together nicely. That was one of the many valuable tips and tricks my cousin taught me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast