Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing squares >

sewing squares

sewing squares

Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the tips, so good for everyone to share. I do most of these things. I try 3 times, if they don't match by then, I just go on.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 AM

The trick to matching seams is press and sew the seam so the dark goes one way and the light goes the other. This way they nest together. You may find pinning the seam before you sew. It all gets easier as you go along. Remember there are no quilt police. If it pleases you then don't worry.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks for info
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I like to butt the two seams together and use two pins, one on each side of the intersecting seam to really hold it in place and prevent any shifting. I find that using two pins makes a difference and I seldom have seams that do not match.
This does work. :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I do the same thing I always press everything so I have "locking" seams. once you start doing it, it kinda just comes natural and you don't even have to think about which way to press so your seams will all butt up to each other. I don't use alot of pins when I am quilting however when it comes to matching seams I always stick a pin in right at the intersection. A dot of glue and a tap from the iron is great for holding these seams together also. This way you know your seams are not going to budge while your sewing.
I just tried that pin and a dot of glue this last weekend for the first time and it worked like a charm!!

Marysewfun
Does this gum up your needle if you don't let it dry?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Marvel
The trick to matching seams is press and sew the seam so the dark goes one way and the light goes the other. This way they nest together. You may find pinning the seam before you sew. It all gets easier as you go along. Remember there are no quilt police. If it pleases you then don't worry.
What if they are all lights or all darks?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I do the same thing I always press everything so I have "locking" seams. once you start doing it, it kinda just comes natural and you don't even have to think about which way to press so your seams will all butt up to each other. I don't use alot of pins when I am quilting however when it comes to matching seams I always stick a pin in right at the intersection. A dot of glue and a tap from the iron is great for holding these seams together also. This way you know your seams are not going to budge while your sewing.
I do let it dry - I use the iron to help set it and dry it faster. Put the fabric right-sides together w/just a dab of glue between them toward the outer edge, then iron to help dry and let them set out for a few mins. I do several at a time. :-)

Marysewfun

I just tried that pin and a dot of glue this last weekend for the first time and it worked like a charm!!

Marysewfun
Does this gum up your needle if you don't let it dry?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 PM

every other row you start with a 1/2 square (plus seam allowance)on each end....that way no seams cross. a good idea for heavy fabrics like a Levi quilt, too.