Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I teach my husband to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-teach-my-husband-quilt-t177706.html)

KS quilter 02-02-2012 03:54 PM

I think it would be great for your husband (but not for mine) He would probably 'show me up'.
He can do everything and anything. And..he has a big wood shop,and plenty of other hobbies
so I don't see that happening anyway. If I get stuck on something, jhe can always figure it out.
Everybody needs to have something they like to do.

vrscott 02-02-2012 03:56 PM

I agree with Dina. I think it would be wonderful if my husband was interested in quilting too. I say go for it!

nclauri 02-02-2012 04:42 PM

I think it is great idea! I have also "planted" a bug in my husbands ear.

maxnme01 02-02-2012 06:08 PM

My daughter-in-law's mother AND father got intrigued by quilts on a fall New England trip to see the changing foliage colors. Now they BOTH quilt and fight over one sewing machine. LOL Go for it!

Sherryquilts 02-02-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by polly13 (Post 4934550)
My husband took an interest in my cooking. He now rejects my suggestions for menus by saying, "I thought we might have..." I have happily let him take over the cooking so I can spend my time in my quilting room. I'm so happy he hasn't taken an interest in that. I'm afraid he would be underfoot.

THIS is the hobby I want my husband to take an interest in...I suggested quilting...he said no. Then I said that I think doing menu planning and cooking would be the perfect hobby for him...he said no again - dang...

Quilty-Louise 02-02-2012 08:33 PM

In my OWN person opinion I think it would be a great idea.
Just set "boundries" on what he can and cannot use.

Take him on a "fabric" buying trip for his own stash (small to start with).

At this point I would LOVE to have SOMEONE (anyone including my hubs)
to share my love of fabric and quilting with. But who know if that DID happen
if I would like sharing or not.

I KNOW I would NEVER NEVER NEVER let him use my NEW baby. But I would
let him use the other Brother emb/sewing machine.

Of course I say this because I KNOW my hubs would never in 100 years much
less a million years say "yes" to learning how to quilt.

Heck I can't even get my daughter (I have 3) to get interested in quilting, much
less sewing. The 2 oldest does crochet, and the youngest does latch hook (when
she is not studying at college).

QM 02-02-2012 08:47 PM

My DH admires and appreciates my quilting but has not wanted to join in. I had hoped he would work on my guild's LA for me, as I can't. I agree with VickyS about pressuring and overpowering. Many men are great quilters, but not every DH even wants to quilt. Maybe he just wants to enjoy your company.

Normabeth 04-09-2012 09:06 AM

Jeanne
I think it woul be an awesome idea to teach your husband how to quilt - just think about this, having a live in quilting buddy to sew and shop together with, bounce ideas off on, help finish your quilts, etc

Debbie C 04-09-2012 09:20 AM

I would love for my husband to be sitting at the next machine over - he is always so supportive of my quilting but thinks it's a 'girl thing'. His mom was an amazing dressmaker, so he can appreciate all that goes into our craft, but I don't think he's THAT interested in becoming more involved other than as 'my biggest fan'!

Writergrrl 04-09-2012 10:44 AM

This is a fascinating thread!!! The answer really depends on your relationship. Some couples successfully work together in the same office and others value their personal time. As for me, I couldn't do it. The first step would be me teaching him and the next step would be him asking me to finish a project for him!