Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   SID before FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sid-before-fmq-t104642.html)

Jaos 03-03-2011 09:50 AM

I'm a self taught newish quilter. I took a machine quilting class where we worked on lots of quilt sandwiches but didn't talk about working on an actual quilt. I just read on a blog about STD to stabilize a quilt before FMQ. Do most of you do that? What are the benefits? How much STD do you do?

Jim's Gem 03-03-2011 09:53 AM

Sometimes. Occasionally I will do a wavy or some other "fancy" stitch along the blocks of the quilt and then go back and FMQ where I want that.
When I FMQ with an all over meander, I don't, because I was not planning any STD in the first place.

Dandish 03-03-2011 09:56 AM

Thread title made me laugh...

Depends on the quilting plan - if it includes ditch stitching then I do that first, otherwise, no.

Tinabodina 03-03-2011 09:56 AM

I usually do meandering so I don't use any STD.

Tinabodina 03-03-2011 09:57 AM

Me too! :D

Mary M 03-03-2011 10:01 AM

I do like to sew from the middle of the quilt out to the sides in at least 4 directions. I t really helps me keep a smoother top for the FMQ

katier825 03-03-2011 11:35 AM

Depending on what I'm doing for a pattern, yes, sometimes I will stitch in the ditch first. When I don't want to stitch in the ditch, but want to stabilize the quilt before doing my quilting, I will machine baste it with water soluble thread. Once it's done, I wash it and my temporary basting washes away. Either way, I can start anywhere I want to quilt and it won't shift around.

The water soluble thread is more expensive, but you use so little, that a spool can baste several quilts. For me, the cost is worth the convenience.

quilt1950 03-03-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
Depending on what I'm doing for a pattern, yes, sometimes I will stitch in the ditch first. When I don't want to stitch in the ditch, but want to stabilize the quilt before doing my quilting, I will machine baste it with water soluble thread. Once it's done, I wash it and my temporary basting washes away. Either way, I can start anywhere I want to quilt and it won't shift around.

The water soluble thread is more expensive, but you use so little, that a spool can baste several quilts. For me, the cost is worth the convenience.

Where do you purchase the water soluble thread? Thanks

LivelyLady 03-03-2011 07:58 PM

I was taught that way and it's much easier for me. After I STD I can take out the pins which really lightens the quilt and then I FMQ in the open areas (which is not larger than 5") For larger open area I use water soluble thread.

DogHouseMom 03-03-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
When I don't want to stitch in the ditch, but want to stabilize the quilt before doing my quilting, I will machine baste it with water soluble thread.

I hand baste with water soluable. didn't think it would work in the machine - I thought it would break. cool! Gonna try that.