Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: SID before FMQ

I'm a self taught newish quilter. I took a machine quilting class where we worked on lots of quilt sandwiches but didn't talk about working on an actual quilt. I just read on a blog about STD to stabilize a quilt before FMQ. Do most of you do that? What are the benefits? How much STD do you do?

Sometimes. Occasionally I will do a wavy or some other "fancy" stitch along the blocks of the quilt and then go back and FMQ where I want that.
    When I FMQ with an all over meander, I don't, because I was not planning any STD in the first place.

Thread title made me laugh...

Depends on the quilting plan - if it includes ditch stitching then I do that first, otherwise, no.

I usually do meandering so I don't use any STD.

Me too! :D

I do like to sew from the middle of the quilt out to the sides in at least 4 directions. I t really helps me keep a smoother top for the FMQ

Blog Entries
    Depending on what I'm doing for a pattern, yes, sometimes I will stitch in the ditch first. When I don't want to stitch in the ditch, but want to stabilize the quilt before doing my quilting, I will machine baste it with water soluble thread. Once it's done, I wash it and my temporary basting washes away. Either way, I can start anywhere I want to quilt and it won't shift around.

The water soluble thread is more expensive, but you use so little, that a spool can baste several quilts. For me, the cost is worth the convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Depending on what I'm doing for a pattern, yes, sometimes I will stitch in the ditch first. When I don't want to stitch in the ditch, but want to stabilize the quilt before doing my quilting, I will machine baste it with water soluble thread. Once it's done, I wash it and my temporary basting washes away. Either way, I can start anywhere I want to quilt and it won't shift around.

The water soluble thread is more expensive, but you use so little, that a spool can baste several quilts. For me, the cost is worth the convenience.
    Where do you purchase the water soluble thread? Thanks

I was taught that way and it's much easier for me. After I STD I can take out the pins which really lightens the quilt and then I FMQ in the open areas (which is not larger than 5") For larger open area I use water soluble thread.

When I don't want to stitch in the ditch, but want to stabilize the quilt before doing my quilting, I will machine baste it with water soluble thread.
    I hand baste with water soluable. didn't think it would work in the machine - I thought it would break. cool! Gonna try that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950

Where do you purchase the water soluble thread? Thanks
    I've found it in some local quilt shops, and online at Red Rock Threads. Other online shops have it, but the shipping at Red Rock is less. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.redrockthreads.com/misc-t...ble-thread.asp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    When I don't want to stitch in the ditch, but want to stabilize the quilt before doing my quilting, I will machine baste it with water soluble thread.
    I hand baste with water soluable. didn't think it would work in the machine - I thought it would break. cool! Gonna try that.
    It works in the machine! It does break occasionally, I just rethread and keep going. Just don't lick the end before you thread the needle! LOL

I usually do - as LivelyLady said, you can then remove pins, and work in whatever direction you wish, block by block.

If not and doing an allover design I use a Microstitch gun with the tiny tacks before doing fmq.