Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: do you sid with walking foot or fmq sid?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Prissnboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    786

    do you sid with walking foot or fmq sid?

    I have this monster of a hunter's star quilt that needs quilting. I say monster because I just can't get excited about quilting it. I have a quilting diagram in mind which includes sid, and I tried doing it with fmq foot and boy was that difficult! It just didn't want to move, so I changed feet and am sid with the walking foot, then will go back to fmq with the darning foot.

    Does anyone have any success with sid without a walking foot?
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

  2. #2
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,292
    Blog Entries
    45
    i use my regular piecing foot - it sure is difficult to stay in the ditch!!!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?


  3. #3
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,729
    I tried SITD with a FMQ foot and it was more like drunk driving in the ditch. Blech. Won't do that again.

    I have an integrated walking foot on my machine, and one of the feet that came with it is like a foot with a 1/4" guide - but the guide is in the center ... PERFECT for putting it in the ditch and just stitching along!!

    When I first started quilting I was quilting straight lines (cross hatching) with a regular foot and boy was it hard. Being a complete newbie (and a self taught one) I related to my dealer how hard that was when I had cause to visit him. He said "why didn't you use the walking foot?" ... the what? Needless to say I purchased one that day and have not turned back. Note: This was on my Husky machine, not the Janome which has the integrated walking foot.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    736
    Straight line quiltin with the darning foot is really, really difficult, to me. But I guess it's like anything else, you get better with practice.
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Super Member JulieR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Emmitsburg, MD
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i use my regular piecing foot - it sure is difficult to stay in the ditch!!!
    Ditto! I do fine with my usual piecing foot. I just don't have that kind of control with my fmq foot.

  6. #6
    Junior Member coffeebreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    139
    Do you have the feed dogs down with the walking foot? And you use it just for SITD or for other FMQing? I have a presser foot that came with my SInger Quantum...for SITD and it has that little thing there to line up in the ditch...but of course...it is off slightly enough to make the stitch not go in the ditch....I have to pull it over and then try to keep that little line up thing lined up just to the side of the ditch..which of course is near impossible to keep it exact and the stitch in the ditch. I can do it with the open toed all purpose foot...but am trying to learn better FMQing and tried the walking foot...but it was so cumbersome...I must be doing something wrong as everyone else says it works good for them.....

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    5,051
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
    Do you have the feed dogs down with the walking foot? And you use it just for SITD or for other FMQing? I have a presser foot that came with my SInger Quantum...for SITD and it has that little thing there to line up in the ditch...but of course...it is off slightly enough to make the stitch not go in the ditch....I have to pull it over and then try to keep that little line up thing lined up just to the side of the ditch..which of course is near impossible to keep it exact and the stitch in the ditch. I can do it with the open toed all purpose foot...but am trying to learn better FMQing and tried the walking foot...but it was so cumbersome...I must be doing something wrong as everyone else says it works good for them.....
    I've only used either my reqular foot or the walking foot; never the FMQ foot. With the walking foot you leave the feed dogs as they are. You should be sewing on the lower side of the ditch to keep it going right. I'm waiting for Vikings new SITD foot to come in; it is interchangeable so it fits on my walking foot but the center hole is wider allowing you to use double needles to stitch both sides of the ditch at the same time. It'll make a nice look to the quilt.
    Judy

  8. #8
    Senior Member Marycumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    434
    I have done SID with both the walking foot and FMQ foot. I think the choice is personal. I like the walking foot myself.

  9. #9
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30,796

    I've done almost SITD with my FMQ foot. I outlined stars and didn't do too bad a job. I used a thread colour that matched the background and stitched on the background around the star. I found I could do a nice straight line going towards myself and to the right. I wasn't very good in the other directions so I turned the quilt. You might be able to use a thick straight edge to pull the foot along also. I am going to try that next and look for a thick straight edge ruler like the longarmers use.

  10. #10
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,643
    I tried the FMQ only once. I made a mess of things!!!!

  11. #11
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,638
    If I want to do a staight stitch for quilting, I sew about a 1/4" from the ditch. I usually do a large stipple with FMQ foot.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  12. #12
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,120
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    ..... I have an integrated walking foot on my machine, and one of the feet that came with it is like a foot with a 1/4" guide - but the guide is in the center ... PERFECT for putting it in the ditch and just stitching along!! .........
    What you have described is the SITD foot! Silly PuppyMommy!!

    Me too, use the AccuFeed with the SITD foot! .... and before I had that, walking foot. There is a SITD regular foot you can get, but if you are doing anything of any size, you definitely want your walking foot (or accufeed) on.


    CoffeeBreak ... your problem re being "in" the ditch ... move your needle til you get it riding right where you want it to be. Before I start SITD, I spend quite a bit of time with samples to get it set to exactly where I want it to ride and that little plough, steers me right along!



    It's not that you can't do SITD via FMQ ... after all, that's the way our LA'ers do it on their machines.
    Just like regular FMQ ... to FMQ SITD .... practice practice practice!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  13. #13
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,729
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    What you have described is the SITD foot! Silly PuppyMommy!!
    I know I know (now) ... but consider that I had never heard of a "walking foot" 6 years ago let alone one that would let me talk a walk in the ditch without stumbling.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  14. #14
    Super Member justflyingin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jozefow, Poland
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I know I know (now) ... but consider that I had never heard of a "walking foot" 6 years ago let alone one that would let me talk a walk in the ditch without stumbling.
    I've been sewing for years and years and years, but just learned about this SITD foot a couple months ago. So don't feel silly--you're not alone, "dog house mom".

  15. #15
    Super Member franc36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,497
    I much prefer doing SID with a walking foot; but sometimes there are places where FMQ works better, so that's what I use for that section of the quilt. I really enjoy doing SID regardless of which method I use.

  16. #16
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,120
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I know I know (now) ... but consider that I had never heard of a "walking foot" 6 years ago let alone one that would let me talk a walk in the ditch without stumbling.
    I know I know ... I thought it was a wonderful little invention when I found it with it's plough! I had got it with my old machine and didnt waste any time stating it had to be part of my deal when I got my 6600! Anything to make quilting-life so easy, right?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Morgantown PA
    Posts
    220
    I guess I'm the only one who uses my zipper foot for SITD. I can run it along the seam, and bump the needle over whereever I need it!
    psumom

  18. #18
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,477
    Blog Entries
    1
    I only SID with the walking foot. The key for me is to go relatively slow with the needle in the low part of the seam. I gently pull the seam apart while sewing and when I come to a part where the seam switches sides, I gently guide the needle to the other side.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    66
    I use my SITD walking foot. I'm just not good enough at FMQ to make consistent straight lines.

    Off topic-- I have a hunter's star to auilt and I wonder if you would share your quilting plan?

  20. #20
    Senior Member batikmystique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Killeen, Texas
    Posts
    329
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    I've only used either my reqular foot or the walking foot; never the FMQ foot. With the walking foot you leave the feed dogs as they are. You should be sewing on the lower side of the ditch to keep it going right. I'm waiting for Vikings new SITD foot to come in; it is interchangeable so it fits on my walking foot but the center hole is wider allowing you to use double needles to stitch both sides of the ditch at the same time. It'll make a nice look to the quilt.
    Same for me. Oh, I'm excited to hear that Viking is coming out with a new foot for double SID...wow! Will be nice to have another SID option.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

  21. #21
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,729
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    I've been sewing for years and years and years, but just learned about this SITD foot a couple months ago. So don't feel silly--you're not alone, "dog house mom".
    hee hee ... I just learned what the name of it was a few posts ago
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  22. #22
    Super Member newbee3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,893
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have a stich in the ditch foot it works great.

  23. #23
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,120
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    hee hee ... I just learned what the name of it was a few posts ago
    Just trying to be of service!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.