Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you SID/Straight-Line Quilt on your Babylock with or without the Walking Foot? >

Do you SID/Straight-Line Quilt on your Babylock with or without the Walking Foot?

Do you SID/Straight-Line Quilt on your Babylock with or without the Walking Foot?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Do you SID/Straight-Line Quilt on your Babylock with or without the Walking Foot?

The quilt store says that the Babylocks have the sensor system that adjusts the feed so that you don't have to quilt with the walking foot. Just wondering if this works okay. I am going to do some SID and Straight line quilting and think that it may be easier to stitch a straight line while using the walking foot. I have the Espire but have only had it a few months so I haven't done any quilting on it yet. Any suggestions or tips from your experience would be helpful.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM

I use my walking foot, but my machine is about 4 or 5 years old.
Is yours newer? I don't remember my seller saying anything like that. You could try it on a small sample but my experience is that the walking foot makes it so much easier. Otherwise, I feel like I'm pushing it through!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM

It is also easier to keep the stitches the same length if you use the walking foot.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Walking foot, the sensor controls the tension not how the fabrics are being fed, person doesn't know what they are talking about. the tension will be fine but will not feed evenly without foot. I also have the espire by the way.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM

I have a Babylock Melody ( they change the names of these machines every second - I believe it is same as quilter's choice) I almost never use the walking foot - I think it stinks - it is impossible to sew a straight line with it. I use my 1/4 foot - if it is really bulky fabric I will use the walking foot for even stiching but have to draw a line to follow.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM

I use my walking foot on my Decorator's Choice Babylock when I do just a plain straight stitch. If I want to do a decorative stitch, I change to my regular zig zag foot. Some decorative stitches cause the feed dogs to go sideways a little, according to my sewing shop lady, and a lot go backwards a little. I ruined my first walking foot trying to stitch anything but forward straight stitching.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Babylock has a quilting machine Quest Plus that uses the redesigned Pfaff IDT. Bernina might have it also. (Patent expired) I have a Pfaff and I use the IDT for almost everything. IDT is a built-in even feed foot.

My 2170 and the Quest are vertical bobbin.