Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signing your Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signing-your-quilt-t56647.html)

firecrackerpam 07-28-2010 10:35 AM

I am just looking for som guidence here as a new quilter.
How do the majority of you sign your quilt? Do you use the marking pens, if so which ones? Do you embroider a label? What do you put on it: the date, your full name or just initials? How big is it?
I have a few that are ready for the signature but I am not sure how or what to do.

ClairVoyantQuilter 07-28-2010 10:38 AM

There are probably as many ways to sign quilts as there are quilts themselves. I hand embroider mine with my full name (including maiden name for future generations) and the date . . .and if for an occasion or gift, I include the name of the recipient and the date/occasion for which it's intended.

ShowMama 07-28-2010 12:18 PM

I make my own labels, using either muslin or some other light fabric or one of the fabrics in the quilt front. The size goes according to what I want to put on it. I hand write or print my information (who it was made for, made by, quilted by, occasion, date, etc. - whatever is appropriate), always using a black permanent fabric pen. Sometimes I'll write out the information on a little larger piece of fabric and trim it down to label size so I know I got all the information on. I then turn under the edges and hand stitch on the bottom left corner of the back. Sometimes I embellish the label with other colors of ink.

Ps 150 07-28-2010 12:19 PM

I embroider a patch for the back and hand applique it on last, after I've quilted and bound it.

crazy4quilting 07-28-2010 06:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I embroider my name and the month/year I finish the quilt. If it's for a baby, I put his/her name on it and their birthday in addition to my signature. If it's for a wedding present, I do NOT say anything about the occasion - let's face it, the marriage might not last, but the quilt should.

My mother finished the top of a Dresden platter quilt back in the 1940s, so when I finished it for her a few years ago, I put her signature and the date she finished the top (as best as I could figure) in one corner, and I put my signature in the other corner with the date I finished quilting it.

Baby quilt - I didn't know how to quilt yet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69297[/ATTACH]

baby quilt dedication and signature
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69298[/ATTACH]

My mother's quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69299[/ATTACH]

crazy4quilting 07-28-2010 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and here's the other corner

Kathy N 07-28-2010 06:39 PM

I love to embroider mine with my machine. However, I also purchased a book with iron on quilt label designs and iron them on to muslin then color in with fabric markers. They come out real cute too!

greenfairy 07-28-2010 06:41 PM

I make a label with my name and logo, then sew it on the back corner of the quilt.

Ps 150 07-29-2010 06:34 AM

[quote=crazy4quilting] If it's for a wedding present, I do NOT say anything about the occasion - let's face it, the marriage might not last, but the quilt should.

I've always wondered how to approach wedding quilts. I just made one and shipped it out with all of their info but felt sooo hesitant about it. I really don't know how the relationship will endure. I pray it will last but I just have a feeling. This idea of not including the information is a wonderful idea. I think I'll use it for my next quilt! Thanks!

ckcowl 07-29-2010 06:51 AM

sometimes i write a whole story, sometimes just the name of the quilt, my name, town/state/country, and the date...sometimes a dedication...just depends on the quilt and the recipient. sometimes i use pigma pens, sometimes my computer printer, sometimes the sewing machine...again, just depends on the quilt. some have even just had a little made for you by...label...it is only important that you put a label on them not how or what you use; that is a personal choice.