Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Signing your Quilt

I am just looking for som guidence here as a new quilter.
    How do the majority of you sign your quilt? Do you use the marking pens, if so which ones? Do you embroider a label? What do you put on it: the date, your full name or just initials? How big is it?
    I have a few that are ready for the signature but I am not sure how or what to do.

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    There are probably as many ways to sign quilts as there are quilts themselves. I hand embroider mine with my full name (including maiden name for future generations) and the date . . .and if for an occasion or gift, I include the name of the recipient and the date/occasion for which it's intended.

I make my own labels, using either muslin or some other light fabric or one of the fabrics in the quilt front. The size goes according to what I want to put on it. I hand write or print my information (who it was made for, made by, quilted by, occasion, date, etc. - whatever is appropriate), always using a black permanent fabric pen. Sometimes I'll write out the information on a little larger piece of fabric and trim it down to label size so I know I got all the information on. I then turn under the edges and hand stitch on the bottom left corner of the back. Sometimes I embellish the label with other colors of ink.

I embroider a patch for the back and hand applique it on last, after I've quilted and bound it.

I embroider my name and the month/year I finish the quilt. If it's for a baby, I put his/her name on it and their birthday in addition to my signature. If it's for a wedding present, I do NOT say anything about the occasion - let's face it, the marriage might not last, but the quilt should.

My mother finished the top of a Dresden platter quilt back in the 1940s, so when I finished it for her a few years ago, I put her signature and the date she finished the top (as best as I could figure) in one corner, and I put my signature in the other corner with the date I finished quilting it.

Baby quilt - I didn't know how to quilt yet
    Name:  Attachment-69292.jpe
Views: 3854
Size:  113.8 KB

baby quilt dedication and signature
    Name:  Attachment-69293.jpe
Views: 3778
Size:  41.0 KB

My mother's quilt.
    Name:  Attachment-69294.jpe
Views: 3560
Size:  44.6 KB

and here's the other corner
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love to embroider mine with my machine. However, I also purchased a book with iron on quilt label designs and iron them on to muslin then color in with fabric markers. They come out real cute too!

I make a label with my name and logo, then sew it on the back corner of the quilt.

[quote=crazy4quilting] If it's for a wedding present, I do NOT say anything about the occasion - let's face it, the marriage might not last, but the quilt should.

I've always wondered how to approach wedding quilts. I just made one and shipped it out with all of their info but felt sooo hesitant about it. I really don't know how the relationship will endure. I pray it will last but I just have a feeling. This idea of not including the information is a wonderful idea. I think I'll use it for my next quilt! Thanks!

Blog Entries
    sometimes i write a whole story, sometimes just the name of the quilt, my name, town/state/country, and the date...sometimes a dedication...just depends on the quilt and the recipient. sometimes i use pigma pens, sometimes my computer printer, sometimes the sewing machine...again, just depends on the quilt. some have even just had a little made for you by...label...it is only important that you put a label on them not how or what you use; that is a personal choice.

Banned
    I usually hand embroider 2 labels (affixed to the back of the quilt one to each side)

1. My name, town, state
    date or dates of the quilt
    2. name of quilt (if there is one)and name of recipient.

Sometimes I just print out a label that has my logo, name & location, after adding the year.

So here is my question for quilt labels. I am making 2 baby quilts for a friend for her 2 new grandbabies. When I do the labels, (the quilts are from her), how would you do that?

Thanks

Banned
    [quote=hsquiltingmom]So here is my question for quilt labels. I am making 2 baby quilts for a friend for her 2 new grandbabies. When I do the labels, (the quilts are from her), how would you do that?

Unless she wouldn't want to acknowledge you made them

Label 1. Your name, location, date
    Label 2. From Grandma with love and the child's name

If the grandmother is paying you to make these, her name could be on it as such: "presented on the birth of Name-of-Baby by So-and-So, and the date." I'd either put my signature with that information, "...and made by my-name" or in another location.

If the grandmother doesn't have a financial investment in the quilts, I think the card she gives with the quilt is enough credit that it's from her. I'd still sign and date the quilt.

I look at my quilts kind of like they are fine art (i have delusions of grandeur! lol) - and artists sign their paintings (on the front, I might add), without consideration to where the painting or whatever will go when it's done.

just my two cents :)

Blog Entries
    I always label my quilts and quilted items. As of late I've been doing them on my embroidery machine. I enter all of my text and put a frame of stiches around it (kind of like a badge). I might also add a motif that matches the quilt. I cut it out, fuse it on the back of the quilt and secure it with hand stitching in matching thread. Although my name is embroidered on the label, I still sign it with a Pigma pen for a personal touch.

My first quilts I didn't sign. I didn't know you should. I now make an embroidered label with the quilt name, who it is for, my name and the date it was finished. I sew these on the back of the quilt.

I don't have an embroidery machine, yet :), and people tell me my handwriting is nice but I still prefer to use my computer and printer. I use the printable fabric sheets. I have a heart shape template that I use to cut my label shape in. I print a message that I know will be within the size of the label shape I include my name and the date along the edge of the shape so it's there but doesn't take way from the primary message of the quilt.

I sometimes embroider my info on a patch or use a permanent marker. Although, somebody once told me you should write directly on the quilt backing and not on a label. Because your label could be removed and someone can put their name on the quilt.I don't know why anyone would do that, BUT just thought I would share this info.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    I love to embroider mine with my machine. However, I also purchased a book with iron on quilt label designs and iron them on to muslin then color in with fabric markers. They come out real cute too!
    Hi Kathy!

What is the name of this book? Sounds like something I'd be interested in purchasing. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been stuck trying to decide what to do and this definitely helps!

i make labels using the alphabet on my machine with Title,details of occassion (ie birth, marriage etc) date made, but always sign my name in pigma pen. I always attach label to bottom right hand corner on back of quilt,attaching it before I secure the binding. Hope this helps! I always photograph my quilts now.

I make a label with the alphabet on my machine. I use either a scrap of one of the fabrics on the front or a scrap of muslin. If it is a gift, I put the following: Name of quilt, Made for ..., my name, and the date. If it is a quilt for me, I will stitch my name and the year on the binding before I hand stitch the binding to the back.

I usually sign my quilt back before I put a label on it, in case it is ever removed. I don't have an embroidery machine so sometimes hand embroider or just use a pigma pen and write it on the label. Agree with others on the text options. But it is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    I usually sign my quilt back before I put a label on it, in case it is ever removed. I don't have an embroidery machine so sometimes hand embroider or just use a pigma pen and write it on the label. Agree with others on the text options. But it is up to you.
    I like your idea of signing your quilt under the label!! I think I will borrow that in future!! Thanks!!

a good many quilters are either quilting the lable into the quilt or sewing into the binding on 2 sides---also a dna hair sample put in the binding-- ive not done any of these yet but i do put care instructions on the label

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast