Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sitting here stumped... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sitting-here-stumped-t157172.html)

Dina 10-01-2011 07:16 AM

I just finished the last quilt in my "to do"list," and I am playing with what to make next. I find this the hardest part of my quilting. Once I have made up my mind, then I just relax and sew.

How do you decide what to quilt next, if all your to-do projects are done? I have been looking at my stash. Should I select a fabric I like and then build around that. Should I look at patterns and select one I like and then look at my fabric?

I know there is no right and wrong way, but I seem a direction to go, and, other than stacks of fabric all around me, and pieces laid across my design wall, I just seem to be stumped.

What works best for you?

Tartan 10-01-2011 07:23 AM

Whenever I see a quilt or pattern that intrugues me, I photo copy it and put it in my idea file. I have far to many things on the go right now and haven't had to look in it for ages.
-a 4PP to embroider and quilt
-Star quilt to sash and quilt
-Sampler to sash and quilt
-Bug jar to quilt before Christmas
Oh dear, I better get off the QB and get busy!

GwynR 10-01-2011 07:33 AM

Never managed to finish my to do list..... It just keeps getting longer.....! LOL!

Dina 10-01-2011 07:33 AM

Okay, maybe that will work. I have admired the rail fence and log cabin patterns lately. Maybe I will go for one of them, and then start a file of more specific patterns that I like. Pattern first and then fabric...may work.

Thanks. I have been quilting 2 years, so I still consider myself a bit of a newbie.

Kristin in ME 10-01-2011 07:35 AM

Wow, I can't imagine ever finishing my to-do list... I add new ideas practically daily! lol

Kat Sews 10-01-2011 07:36 AM

When I get caught up I clean my space. That usually brings to mind something I would like do make. Or just make a quick scrappy baby size to donate.

Barb44 10-01-2011 08:12 AM

I can't imagine ever running out of ideas. I have a list that will take me 4 or 5 years to complete. Especially since I hand quilt. And that's just quilts. There are other things I want to make too, like pincusions, purses, curtains, and clothes.

trif 10-01-2011 08:19 AM

The holidays are approaching quickly, maybe do a few gifts, table runners, place mats, bags, mug rugs, wall hangings, lap quilts.......oh dear...I better get busy!!!!

fraydknot12326 10-01-2011 08:30 AM

Oh, my ... if you finished the last quilt on your 'to-do' list ............... your list is way too short ........ :lol: <JK>

Take a look in the gallary pics ... maybe that will inspire something ... :D

yayaquilts 10-01-2011 08:34 AM

How nice to be all caught up! I used to not have very many WISP's (works in slow progress). Sadly I have more than I'd like, so I am trying to finish them all, a very slow process. I think I might look at my fabrics and decide which one I'd like to make into a new project. Then look through books and patterns to find the "one" to match the fabric.