Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: sitting here stumped...

I just finished the last quilt in my "to do"list," and I am playing with what to make next. I find this the hardest part of my quilting. Once I have made up my mind, then I just relax and sew.

How do you decide what to quilt next, if all your to-do projects are done? I have been looking at my stash. Should I select a fabric I like and then build around that. Should I look at patterns and select one I like and then look at my fabric?

I know there is no right and wrong way, but I seem a direction to go, and, other than stacks of fabric all around me, and pieces laid across my design wall, I just seem to be stumped.

What works best for you?

Power Poster
    Whenever I see a quilt or pattern that intrugues me, I photo copy it and put it in my idea file. I have far to many things on the go right now and haven't had to look in it for ages.
    -a 4PP to embroider and quilt
    -Star quilt to sash and quilt
    -Sampler to sash and quilt
    -Bug jar to quilt before Christmas
    Oh dear, I better get off the QB and get busy!

Never managed to finish my to do list..... It just keeps getting longer.....! LOL!

Okay, maybe that will work. I have admired the rail fence and log cabin patterns lately. Maybe I will go for one of them, and then start a file of more specific patterns that I like. Pattern first and then fabric...may work.

Thanks. I have been quilting 2 years, so I still consider myself a bit of a newbie.

Wow, I can't imagine ever finishing my to-do list... I add new ideas practically daily! lol

When I get caught up I clean my space. That usually brings to mind something I would like do make. Or just make a quick scrappy baby size to donate.

I can't imagine ever running out of ideas. I have a list that will take me 4 or 5 years to complete. Especially since I hand quilt. And that's just quilts. There are other things I want to make too, like pincusions, purses, curtains, and clothes.

The holidays are approaching quickly, maybe do a few gifts, table runners, place mats, bags, mug rugs, wall hangings, lap quilts.......oh dear...I better get busy!!!!

Oh, my ... if you finished the last quilt on your 'to-do' list ............... your list is way too short ........ :lol:

Take a look in the gallary pics ... maybe that will inspire something ... :D

How nice to be all caught up! I used to not have very many WISP's (works in slow progress). Sadly I have more than I'd like, so I am trying to finish them all, a very slow process. I think I might look at my fabrics and decide which one I'd like to make into a new project. Then look through books and patterns to find the "one" to match the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by GwynR
    Never managed to finish my to do list..... It just keeps getting longer.....! LOL!
    Here here!! I keep stashing projects to do and always have one in the wings!! lol

Than being said - I am inspired by patterns - but often never really follow them.

Not a problem, my to do list is so long I will never get to the end.

Power Poster
    Congratulations on finishing everything on your to-do list!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I have lots of UFO's and "want-to-do's", so I will be very busy until I am at least a hundred! ;)

I love your ticker, Kristen in ME!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    How do you decide what to quilt next, if all your to-do projects are done?
    I will be dealing with this question in about 23 years. I'm sure I have that many projects in the pipeline. HEAVY SIGH!

Maybe just walking away for a bit and coming into your sewing space with fresh eyes may give you a new direction.

How nice to be caught up. I usually have a dozen WIPs in my quilt studio but still, when I finish one, I begin thinking of my next.
    That depends on what catches my eye recently in a book, magazine, on forums or among my many filed patterns. Sometimes I want to try something entirely new, and other times I want something quick and safe.
    Sorry I can't help you decide.

Look at pictures, and fabrics until something just jumps out and says "pick me!" Often I start with patterns, but once in a while there will be a fabric that I just HAVE to do something with.

Quote Originally Posted by GwynR
    I agree, I have SO many projects on my 'to do list', I'm never stumped. Except, how much can I accomplish before I die.

I think part of my mind set comes from when I made most of my clothes, and I didn't have much money. My rule was that if I bought fabric, I had to use it before the next payday. (Teachers are paid once a month...) That meant that if I had a project, I had to finish it before I started the next one. (This was a self-imposed rule.)

I have gotten past part of the rule and have a pretty good stash. I had five quilts in my to-do list, and I guess I should have let myself think about the next project earlier.

I'm taking several of your suggestions...looking at patterns mainly. Tidying my room too, re-stacking my stash. Something should kick in soon, I hope. I have already "wasted three hours" thinking, and I have reserved the whole day for quilting. Hope I get started soon. :)

I always start with the pattern.

As a newbie "want-to-do"s are not anywhere in sight! **sigh** next year all me me me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dina

How do you decide what to quilt next, if all your to-do projects are done? ...................

What works best for you?
    LOL. My projects are never done! I just keep adding more!

:mrgreen:

With the cost of material these days, you may want to start by going through your scraps and cutting them up into usable pieces and putting them into a simple quilt while you make up your mind on the next skill set you want to work with.

Then pick a pattern that forces you to work on that skill set and you will be back into the flow again!

Good luck!

I have a quilt to do for myself and a quilt that is a christmas gift, I have to select and finsh a quilt for a show next year and I have to do 3 challege pieces and a bom the Bom needs to be done by next week plus i have 3 charity quilts that have to be quilted by next week as well So Monday I will be seriously working in my studeo

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast