Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Something to keep nervous hands busy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/something-keep-nervous-hands-busy-t198807.html)

Prissnboot 08-27-2012 08:33 AM

Something to keep nervous hands busy

My stepson is autistic and when he gets nervous, or if there's a loose thread on a shirt or ANYTHING, he will mess with it and fuss with it until he's torn the garment or whatever apart into pieces. When he was younger, my husband said many days he would come home from school in a different shirt than what he wore to school.

He is turning 20 this Sunday, and I am thinking of making some potholder sized squares and then stitching fancy stitches in it and leaving the tails of the thread loose, so he can pick at these when he's nervous - what do you think?

He's been preoccupied with many things lately and obsesses over them, and has started tearing things up again. I've thought about doing this before but just haven't done it, and with his birthday coming up, I thought this might be a good thing to do.

I know one of you out there has autistic children - I would love to hear all of your opinions....

Thanks,
Gina in Kingwood TX

DebraK 08-27-2012 08:41 AM

It sounds like a good idea. i don't know about for his birthday though.

QuiltingKrazy 08-27-2012 08:41 AM

I don't have an autistic child but have worked with them when I was in the school system with EC classes.
I do miss those special children. You know your child best so If you think this may help, then I would make then.
What about something crocheted or knitted? Any chance he could us that nervous energy to create something like
weaving those old loom potholders? Maybe he could make one then take it apart? Good luck and God Bless you
and him!

dunster 08-27-2012 08:46 AM

It sounds as if the loose thread makes him nervous, so why provide more loose threads? I understand you're trying to help, but it might just feed his anxiety. I would recommend asking a professional who deals with autism, preferably someone who is seeing your stepson.

GrannieAnnie 08-27-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot (Post 5471693)
My stepson is autistic and when he gets nervous, or if there's a loose thread on a shirt or ANYTHING, he will mess with it and fuss with it until he's torn the garment or whatever apart into pieces. When he was younger, my husband said many days he would come home from school in a different shirt than what he wore to school.

He is turning 20 this Sunday, and I am thinking of making some potholder sized squares and then stitching fancy stitches in it and leaving the tails of the thread loose, so he can pick at these when he's nervous - what do you think?

He's been preoccupied with many things lately and obsesses over them, and has started tearing things up again. I've thought about doing this before but just haven't done it, and with his birthday coming up, I thought this might be a good thing to do.

I know one of you out there has autistic children - I would love to hear all of your opinions....

Thanks,
Gina in Kingwood TX

My 11 year old grandson is autistic. I do know that you have to do what works for your child, so it sounds like you are on to something! Good luck.

Rhonda 08-27-2012 09:36 AM

It doesn't make him nervous but is an obsession. I am sure. My DGS has obsessions too. He is autistic and 11.
If this helps your stepson calm himself I think the hotpads with threads to pull out is an excellent idea.

We have to find ways to help them cope with their everyday life. Obsessions are just a part of the package. We learn to channel them so they are manageable and I think you are onto something for your stepson.

fortunately my DGS has left some obsessions behind as in running to whatever catches his attention. And he is no longer obsessed with slides. now he is obsessed with printing off Wiggles pics on You tube and writing stories around them. The laptop and drawing keeps him busy for hours. He is bound and determined to make his own movie! He has always been obessed with movies and tv shows and the behind the scenes info as in what studio makes that program and who the sponsors are and what ads are shown on there. He could one day become a director who knows??

Prissnboot 08-27-2012 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5471734)
It sounds as if the loose thread makes him nervous, so why provide more loose threads? I understand you're trying to help, but it might just feed his anxiety. I would recommend asking a professional who deals with autism, preferably someone who is seeing your stepson.

Perhaps I wasn't clear - I want to give him this to pick at instead of his clothes. It's something small enough that he could put in his pocket and take to school discreetly.

nativetexan 08-27-2012 11:03 AM

how about doing those "tags" that are so popular for babies these days. loops of ribbons and such sewn in the edges.

QuiltMania 08-27-2012 11:58 AM

That would be a very good idea. You could also try this: Sew 2 small squares together like you would if you were making a pillow (felt works well for this). Leave 1 side open and turn to the right side. Tuck about 1/4 of the open side over so you won't have raw edges for the next step. Starting at the open side, sew a curvy line throughout the square. Move over about 7/8 inch or so and sew another curvy line following the path of the line you just sewed. Basically, you are making a track. You can make it as simple or complex as you want. The track should start and end at the open side. Drop a marble into the track. Topstitch the open side closed. Now you have a small "fidget" for your stepson to take with him. To use it, he just moves the marble back and forth along the track. I have seen this work well with many of the autistic kids I work with.

Jan in VA 08-27-2012 02:49 PM

"I've thought about doing this before but just haven't done it,"
There's your answer. You are the mother; you know him better than anyone. If this idea has come to you before, then this time is the confirmation; you really don't need it from us.
:) Do it!

Best to you and your son on this journey.
Hugs,
Jan in VA