Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-question-t83313.html)

buckyfan19 12-16-2010 05:02 PM

I have seen so many beautiful quilts posted on the board, and many of the people say they pulled all the fabric from their stash. What sizes/quantites of fabrics do you keep in your stash? Thanks

sueisallaboutquilts 12-16-2010 05:04 PM

I have all sizes from scraps to multiple yardage.
You may want to check the Search button and type in
stash or something similar too. Lots of posts on this!
:D:D

Cyn 12-16-2010 05:05 PM

3 rooms full :)All but one room is all cotton! The other has a mix but this is rather outrageous.

Colorful Quilter 12-16-2010 05:06 PM

I have all sizes of fabrics too, as I make quilt tops for family, friends and donations also so a lot of scrap quilts

sew cornie 12-16-2010 05:12 PM

My storage space is limited to two kitchen-sized cupboards so I buy in small amounts rather than yardages. I only buy large yardage amounts if it's for a specific project, usually for the borders or backing. Although they're more expensive than off the bolt, I tend to buy fat quarters so that I can have lots of variety but still not overflow my space limitations. And I keep a small box for scraps so I can use them for scrappy things or applique pieces.

pab 12-16-2010 05:14 PM

I like to keep my stash well organized and dont keep a large supply ahead. AS I choose a project,i decide what will work from my stash. I like to make scrappy quilts and baltimore album quilts mostly.My guild supplies material for charity quilts also... pab

MadQuilter 12-16-2010 05:18 PM

4 Base cabinets, 4 wall upper cabinets, a double wardrobe, and what doesn't fit in there lives on the counter or in bags on the floor. lol

fayza 12-16-2010 05:23 PM

If I find a fabric I really really like I try to purchase atleast 3 yds. It just seems like you can make any type of pattern if you have atleast 3 yds of each fabric. Sometimes I have to take swatches with me to find other fabrics to match, and sometimes I can match new fabrics with fabrics in my stash.

Shemjo 12-16-2010 05:24 PM

I have waaaay too much fabric, in all yardages. If I liked it, I bought the rest of the bolt when the price was right. For variety, I buy FQ on sale. I used to buy 3 yards when I was purchasing fabric just because I liked it and didn't actually have a project in mind. I have slowed down on shopping, I don't know where to put it!!!!! I should be able to sew "free" quilts for several years! I have joined a "scrappy quilt" group to actually use my stash.

Ladyjanedoe 12-16-2010 05:24 PM

It took an entire weekend to organize my stash and I'm glad I did it. Now when I do a project I can easily find what I'm looking for and know whether I really do need to buy more fabric or if I have enough. I have mine organized by color . I also have my fat quarters organized by color and in those clear plastic shoe box totes.
I have a special place for anything under a yard and I have all my asian fabrics separated and on one shelf ( they are my favorites). I make it a point to keep it organized now and I love it !! Soooo much easier.