Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-t27881.html)

butterflywing 10-29-2009 11:27 AM

what do you think qualifies as stash?

i am also a garment sewer, so does garment fabric also qualify as stash? or does it qualify as a different stash? when we say stash, do we only mean quilting fabric or any fabric? after all, we can make crazy quilts out of any fabric, right? and poly knits are used as are corduroy, flannel, linen, burlap, etc. how about home dec stuff? vinyl? all kinds of crazy stuff?

do battings count as part of our stash? threads? templates? what's the beginning and what's the end when we say 'show me your stash' ?

harrishwhippets 10-29-2009 11:33 AM

Very good question!!!For me it's simple, quilts, toppers, and wall hangings only is what I do. But I have nothing like that amount in your stash post. But in reality I don't think I can ever quilt up all I have. I just like fabric, bringing it home and ohing and awing and caressing it. I've got pcs I don't want to cut up, so they better bury me in it. :lol: :roll:

littlehud 10-29-2009 05:49 PM

I never thought about that. I have fabric left over from when I sewed clothing. Most of it is in my stash so I guess I count that as part of my quilting stash.

Shemjo 10-29-2009 05:56 PM

If it is in my sewing room and or relates to sewing, it is part of my stash. Tha includes all my books, patterns, thread, tools templates AND fabric!

Favorite Fabrics 10-29-2009 07:22 PM

For me, it's only fabric that's considered my "stash". Thread, other notions, and tools do not count. Anything that I don't intend to keep, in the way of fabrics, I donate away or throw out.

Which means, in the end, it's only quilting / crafting fabrics that get kept.

butterflywing 10-29-2009 08:02 PM

does that include home dec or garment or tote fabric?

quiltluvr 10-30-2009 12:55 PM

I've only considered it in my mind to apply solely to quilting fabric, be it charms, jellys, scraps, strips, or any other increments.

Then again, I don't do any other kind of sewing. I have no clue what to refer to all the other goodies quilters accumulate, notions, rulers, threads, scissors, cutters and on and on.

redquilter 10-30-2009 03:03 PM

I think your "stash" can be anything you want it to be. If you feel ALL the items in your sewing room are considered stash, then who are we to argue? I, personally, consider only fabric as a "stash". I don't do much garment sewing anymore, but if I did, that fabric would be considered stash also. But, really, it's each person's right to include or exclude anything they want. Unless, of course, the "stash police" come checking - then we may all be in trouble! :)

Olivia's Grammy 10-30-2009 03:29 PM

I have a stash of everything. Fabrics of every description, buttons, scissors, tools, books, assorted notions, rulers, thread, etc, etc, etc. If I have more than three then it is a stash.

Deecee 10-30-2009 04:00 PM

My stash includes my quilting fabric but also fabric for other crafts eg. aida for cross-stitching, fabric for cushions, toys etc.

I also have a stash of beads, trims etc. for embellishing my quilts.

I think "stash" can be a collection of anything related to your craft.