Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stash

what do you think qualifies as stash?

i am also a garment sewer, so does garment fabric also qualify as stash? or does it qualify as a different stash? when we say stash, do we only mean quilting fabric or any fabric? after all, we can make crazy quilts out of any fabric, right? and poly knits are used as are corduroy, flannel, linen, burlap, etc. how about home dec stuff? vinyl? all kinds of crazy stuff?

do battings count as part of our stash? threads? templates? what's the beginning and what's the end when we say 'show me your stash' ?

Very good question!!!For me it's simple, quilts, toppers, and wall hangings only is what I do. But I have nothing like that amount in your stash post. But in reality I don't think I can ever quilt up all I have. I just like fabric, bringing it home and ohing and awing and caressing it. I've got pcs I don't want to cut up, so they better bury me in it. :lol: :roll:

I never thought about that. I have fabric left over from when I sewed clothing. Most of it is in my stash so I guess I count that as part of my quilting stash.

If it is in my sewing room and or relates to sewing, it is part of my stash. Tha includes all my books, patterns, thread, tools templates AND fabric!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    For me, it's only fabric that's considered my "stash". Thread, other notions, and tools do not count. Anything that I don't intend to keep, in the way of fabrics, I donate away or throw out.

Which means, in the end, it's only quilting / crafting fabrics that get kept.

does that include home dec or garment or tote fabric?

I've only considered it in my mind to apply solely to quilting fabric, be it charms, jellys, scraps, strips, or any other increments.

Then again, I don't do any other kind of sewing. I have no clue what to refer to all the other goodies quilters accumulate, notions, rulers, threads, scissors, cutters and on and on.

I think your "stash" can be anything you want it to be. If you feel ALL the items in your sewing room are considered stash, then who are we to argue? I, personally, consider only fabric as a "stash". I don't do much garment sewing anymore, but if I did, that fabric would be considered stash also. But, really, it's each person's right to include or exclude anything they want. Unless, of course, the "stash police" come checking - then we may all be in trouble! :)

Blog Entries
    I have a stash of everything. Fabrics of every description, buttons, scissors, tools, books, assorted notions, rulers, thread, etc, etc, etc. If I have more than three then it is a stash.

My stash includes my quilting fabric but also fabric for other crafts eg. aida for cross-stitching, fabric for cushions, toys etc.

I also have a stash of beads, trims etc. for embellishing my quilts.

I think "stash" can be a collection of anything related to your craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    My stash includes my quilting fabric but also fabric for other crafts eg. aida for cross-stitching, fabric for cushions, toys etc.

I also have a stash of beads, trims etc. for embellishing my quilts.

I think "stash" can be a collection of anything related to your craft.
    interesting. i think you're right about the 'collection' word. one of something doesn't cut it, does it? like one cutter isn't a stash of cutters,right? anyone disagree?

Blog Entries
    who says we're allowed only one stash? :shock: :lol:

i have a cross-stitch stash (aida cloth, thread, patterns, needles, hoops)... waiting for the day i find just the right magnifying device

i have a quilting stash (which in my mind is just the fabs, scraps and batting ... but anybody's definition is just as correct as mine)

i have a garment stash (the fabs and patterns waiting for the day i finally make another outfit instead of dashing to a sale. :lol: )

and then i have a "mommy and me" stash ... that's all the knitting needles, crochet hooks, and other craft tools, unfinished projects and sewing notions my mother hadn't used by the time she passed away. most of it dates to my childhood. i don't use any of it very often but every time i open those drawers, the memories are there waiting for me. :-)

i guess you could say i have a stash of stashes. :P

I also do Scrapbooking, so have my quilting fabric stash, then my scrapbooking/paper stash.

I also have stash that hubby just calls junk... that I've collected over the years... just in case!

I'm now clearing through this 'junk' to make room for my quilting stash.

I say "Show it all"!!!!!

I did once see a pattern for lapquilts made from old wool sweaters....

I began saving them and now don't remember where I put them...
    one day I will come across them and probably by then, forget why I kept them !!!!!!

Most of my stash is the cottons for quilts...but I do have an embellishment stash. I made a Christmas tree quilt one year and embellished that and couldn't think of throwing away what remained......

and I do put tiny "heart" buttons on all my finished quilts, so I have a collection of hearts....They are not always so easy to find. I need the ones with two holes in them so that they fit snug...

That's my stash.........MaryJane

after reading all the responses, I do believe that I could say that I have a pattern stash.

I can't go online and see a nice pattern and not print it out. I finally have become familiar with PP and now love it........so I take advantage of all patterns I come across............

so I guess that I could call them a "paper stash".

MJ

After reading all the responses, I do believe that I have a pattern stash.

I finally became familiar with and able to do PP....and I can't go online and see a pattern with printing it out.......

so I guess that I also have a "paper stash"

mj

OOPS...went in twice..

our electric went out and I didn't think the first one went through

so, does everything that you have a lot of count as stash? like shoes? heehee.

just kidding about the shoes.

Here's a silly Saturday definiton of stash: Your ludky stash is anything that you: LOVE can USE love to CARESS have to KEEP and is YOURS--LUCKY! And aren't we lucky to have a stash, no matter what it's made of?

everything in my sewing room is stach LOL Rullers, patterns, scissors, books and all. We need it all to make quilts ? RIGHT.

I even have lots of old jeans saved up for jean quilts. That would be part of my stash too.
    Judy in Ohio

Judy jeans are awsome for bags.
    When used for a quilt there are some things you can do so you do not have heavy seams... mae blks and sash with a lighter fab...also if you just butt the pieces together on a base and use fancy stitches to bridge together works great too

Connie

Banned
    for me stash is the fabric i have "in house" that is not committed to a project yet.

i have stash fabric that can be used for quilting, handbags, and clothing - i have cotton, wool, and silk fabric in my stash some commercial and some PFD for me to design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast