Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch in the Ditch Janome Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-ditch-janome-foot-t37288.html)

Candace 02-18-2010 09:30 AM

Well, I thought I "needed" one of these as I've been just using my walking foot for quilting the last 12 years. LOL. It was only like $12 but I was rather let down. It does help keep the stitching straighter, but without the walking foot function you have to basically pull the quilt through. Too much work and drag! And of course dragging it through the machine affects the stitch length. I don't know how you gals who use the stitch in the ditch foot for quilting can stand it:< I can see how it would be useful for bindings and that's about it. I'm back to using my walking foot and that's that! I would imagine using a Pfaff and the IDT would make using the SITDF much easier and useful.

Two thumbs down for the SITDF Janome 9000 type models, for quilting.

Katrine 02-18-2010 09:33 AM

I have the 6600P with Acufeed and with that the STITD foot is wonderful. Use it all the time.

SandyE 02-18-2010 09:43 AM

I have a 6600 too and I love my SITDF .. it works great with the acufeed.

dglvr 02-18-2010 09:45 AM

I use my Janome sitdf alot too. Maybe your quilt was to thick or something. :-D

Deb watkins 02-18-2010 09:47 AM

I have used the SITDF ($9 at the dealer store) on my Janome 4900MC and just love it. No problems at all.

Candace 02-18-2010 10:13 AM

I don't see how it can work well with quilting with no upper walking foot to bring it through. I would think you'd have to have the IDT or Accufeed to allow the fabric to feed smoothly. No my quilt wasn't too thick.

amma 02-18-2010 11:35 AM

I agree, without the IDT or Accufeed or some other system, it does not work well, and none of my machines have that function. I use my walking foot, use my hands to tug the fabric to the left and right and can stay in the stitch fairly well :wink:
Now...if they made a walking foot with that handy little center blade :D:D:D:D

sunkistmi 02-18-2010 11:41 AM

I have a Janome 4000, about 21 years old, and have no problem quilting without a walking foot. I do have one but if I use the SITD foot, obviously you can't use both. I love the ditch foot and only have to use the walking foot if the quilt is especially thick.
Wendy B

patricej 02-18-2010 12:07 PM

i've used a regular ditch-stitching foot to quilt and had fairly decent success. (as decent as can be expected given my limited skills. :lol:)

i'm curious to know what kind of batting you're using. i ask because i have found that stitch-in-the-ditch with the special foot is more difficult when i used polyester batting. it's a bit puffier than cotton, so the batting sort of piles up in front, like a snow in front of a plow.

if you can reduce your foot pressure, that might help.

another solution you might like better is an open-toe walking foot. it's easier to see what's going on, so easier to keep the needle in the ditch.

Candace 02-18-2010 12:12 PM

I use warm and natural. I decrease the foot pressure and it still doesn't work. I really don't see how it could without a walking foot.

I agree a finger on the walking foot would be great!