Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuff-you-use-quilting-isnt-originally-quilting-t152963.html)

sunflower sue 09-16-2011 08:38 AM

If you have a long seam to take apart, this beats a seam ripper. You can get a package of them at the 99 cents store. It is a little eyebrow trimmer. Its a tiny razor in a protective cover and it works great !

Rann 09-16-2011 02:06 PM

I use the Parmesan Cheese containers from SAm's to hold smaller spools of thread and the animal cracker ones to hold large spools--after washing of course.

dtippens 09-16-2011 02:57 PM

I like this idea, I will be doing this for sure... nice

jpthequilter 09-16-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Old glass insulators for weights to hold anything down.

Would love to get my hands on some ... I use the old sad irons for weights!

My favorite weights are "3rd Hands". You just sew some about 4" squares or rounds of about 4" - right sides together - sew them twice. Leave a little hole on one side about an inch across.
Turn - poke out the corners.
and FILL THEM WITH PENNIES! Takes a few dollars worth,
and they are heavy enough to hold anything down. Because they have a fabric surface they don't slip and they are heavy enough to keep fabric from slipping.
That is why they call them a "Third Hand" !
Jeannie

QuiltE 09-16-2011 05:43 PM

Cow Magnets

.... I have one in the bottom of each of my pin dishes/trays. I just have to toss a pin in the direction and it gets pulled into the dish instead of bouncing off and onto the floor.

djvaug 09-16-2011 05:51 PM

Awesome! Thanks, everybody.

Honchey 09-16-2011 06:24 PM

...I have empty Huggies Wipes containers that I use for scraps from the sewing machine when pping and on the cutting table for trimmings....everything goes in easy and doesn't come out...especially when the container falls off the cutting table.

patches6032 09-16-2011 06:28 PM

I am going to used my compressed air for my computer for cleaning my ssewing machine.

Farm Quilter 09-16-2011 06:45 PM

I use the plastic containers that salads come in to store smaller projects - the clear plastic makes it easy to see what is in each container. I took my leaders/enders project to a class in a Belgian Mini Eclairs container...the teacher got all excited until I took the top off and revealed fabric :lol:

oksewglad 09-16-2011 06:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Cow Magnets

.... I have one in the bottom of each of my pin dishes/trays. I just have to toss a pin in the direction and it gets pulled into the dish instead of bouncing off and onto the floor.

Yeah but do others know what cow magnets are and why dairy farmers use them. So will send these images. GKids love playing with them. Spend endless hours looking for metal to attach to them.

Here are three of the round variety
[ATTACH=CONFIG]258019[/ATTACH]

Here's a square shaped one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]258020[/ATTACH]