Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid question - Sewing machine box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-question-sewing-machine-box-t214098.html)

donnajean 02-18-2013 10:51 AM

I have a basement, so I keep boxes so that if I want to sell the item or if I move, I can package the item before the movers can damage it. I do get rid of boxes once I no longer have the item.

Wanabee Quiltin 02-19-2013 04:55 AM

I just bought a new CD player and we folded the box and put it behind something, i threw away all the packing materials. If I need to send it back, then I will get new packing materials.

Reba'squilts 02-19-2013 04:55 AM

My DH thinks all boxes should be kept. We have so many.....tv, computer,sewing machines. He also saves all the paperwork from every thing. I recently was cleaning out his files and found receipts from the 60's. My goal when I return home in the spring is to de-clutter our house. We will see if I can get away with this! So...keep them for the length of the warrantee....then bye- bye boxes!

mcar 02-19-2013 05:19 AM

It may see that the box could get in the way but I keep my box to one side under the cutting table. I use it to store Kits until I am ready for them. It is not a fire hazard there, and who knows when one might need to move!

helenquilt 02-19-2013 05:26 AM

Use them to sort your fabric, or to put out of season clothes in

QultingaddictUK 02-19-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by AndysC (Post 5868789)
I got a new sewing machine in November. I have been hanging onto the box "just in case, but I live in a small apartment and really don't have the space. Is there any reason I would need it in the future? Or can it go to the dumpster??? And for that matter, what about the box for the TV?

I know, I know, stupid questions...

IMO It's very important to keep the boxes, I know it's a pain but it's more of a pain when you have to ship it back for repair etc. I always keep mine and I would do the same if I was you.

A neat way of storing them is to cut through the sticky tape that holds them together, fold them flat and pop them under the bed, on top of the wardrobe anywhere that they are out of your way.

bunniequilter 02-19-2013 06:28 AM

Hopefuly you wont need the box to ship it to be repaired. Its a great idea to flatten the box and store it under the mattress.

gramarraine 02-19-2013 07:19 AM

I am glad to see we are not the only ones that keep every box that ever came into our house. Is it a quilter thing??

carolynjo 02-19-2013 07:24 AM

Put a pretty fabric cover on the machine box and turn it over the machine when you finish to protect it from dust and accidental "dings".

damaquilts 02-19-2013 09:50 AM

I wish I had kept my boxes. I was suppose to be here in VA beach for 6-8 years so I tossed all my moving boxes. Well guess what?? yep 2 years and I am buying big boxes for things. Like my dress form... I say save the boxes. I never thought about under the mattress .. great idea