Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sun Bonnet Sue each month of the year...wallhangings. No stash so.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sun-bonnet-sue-each-month-year-wallhangings-no-stash-so-t176810.html)

LindaM49 01-24-2012 11:33 AM

Sun Bonnet Sue each month of the year...wallhangings. No stash so....

Since I am a fairly new quilter...have sewn though forever but got rid of all extra fabric. So...I ordered this book from amazon (and 2 other books) and they came yesterday. I was so excited but after looking through the book at each month's project I thought...how the heck am I going to make all of these since I don't have anywhere near enough stash. For example...one month shows Sue at the beach so the square background fabric has to look like sand. Then she is wearing a sandle so her exposed foot is a darker tan. Dresses are one piece of fabric but then trim and a pocket of another fabric. Borders and blocks are different colors and then some of them have different small flowers. I could go on and on...but I think you can "get" what I mean. So much different fabric for one small wallhanging. So...off to Joann's today to get other supplies and fabric for a table runner. I kept looking at all of the fat quarters but didn't buy any today. Just wondering if you think that would be the way to go...at $1.99 each. I would hate to think about taking like 15 bolts of fabric to the cutting counter and saying that I want 1/4 yd. of each. They would be cursing me under their breath...lol.

Did get a deal on muslin...$1.99 a yard so I bought all that was on the bolt...almost 9 yds.

Off now to try to finish the binding on my patriotic quilt as a tribute to my deceased father who was a WWII vet and fought in all major battles against Germany. I'm going to attach his ribbons and medals to it and then once I attach the hanger on the back I am going to hang it on the inside of our front door using a wreath hanger. Then I will hang his dog tags over the hanger. (I sure used the word hang and hanger a lot...lol)

annthreecats 01-24-2012 11:47 AM

I know its a lot of trouble to get a lot of fabric cut, but it will be worth it. You get more for your money from the bolt than from a fat quarter. I have seen people in JoAnn's with carts full of cotton fabric bolts. Just have fun with it.

P.S. Your patriotic wall hanging sounds wonderful. Would love to see a picture of it.

lynnsim 01-24-2012 11:48 AM

Perhaps you could put a post in the Searching For thread? Say you're looking for scraps and give the largest piece you want. There are good prices there.

Feathers-N-Fur 01-24-2012 11:53 AM

If you aren't in a big hurry, Joann will put the FQ's on sale for $1 eventually. That's when I buy them. $1.99 is $8 a yard and most of them aren't worth $8. You could also check out charm packs and layer cakes online to get more variety.

Jennie and Me 01-24-2012 12:31 PM

JoAnn's has FQ's for $1.29 right now...that's the lowest that I've seen them since the overall price increases.

NikkiLu 01-24-2012 01:16 PM

Some quilt shops have plastic bags of scraps for sale. Keep looking!!!

Lucky Patsy's 01-24-2012 01:48 PM

My guild has a cast off table, where people bring in fabric in scraps or even yardage, blocks or UFO's that they do not want anymore. I have gotten a lot of fabric for free from this table over the years.

LindaM49 01-24-2012 03:02 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I do agree that the fat quarters are expensive since a lot of the quilting fabric was on sale today and would have been cheaper to have 1/4 yard cut. I'll check some of the online sites for charm packs and layer cakes. Joann's doesn't have much choice in that department...at least the one that I went to. I don't know of any local quilt guilds...but I haven't "dug deep" to check it out. There are a couple of quilt shops that I haven't even checked out yet...probably in the spring when I know the weather will cooperate.

That's funny...all of the fat quarters are lined up between the top couple of shelves and bottom shelves of fabric at the Joann's I went to and no sale signs.

Oh...I was looking for a pair of magnifier glasses that you can clip to your regular glasses. Bought a pair there last year and I dropped them and they broke. I asked the lady at the cutting table and she said they did away with ALL magnifiers but had just a few in the bargain bins out front. Of course they were the ones with a handle that you hold to read. I can't believe it because a lot of older woman sew and have problems threading needles etc.

I have one side yet to sew the binding and then attach the sleeve. Hope to finish tomorrow and will see how well a picture looks with my computer camera. The digital...I don't have a clue how to use it since I bought if for my husband for Christmas about 7 years ago and he puts it somewhere and then can't remember where it is. lol

Ritasrelics 01-24-2012 05:39 PM

You can do so many things with Sue.

chickadee_42us 01-24-2012 05:43 PM

I love playing with Sue. Happy times ahead for you. Start slow, purchase a few yards that you like and eventually you'll have enough to place in different areas of Sue's blocks that the repetition won't seem as noticable.

Originally Posted by Ritasrelics (Post 4907547)
You can do so many things with Sue.