Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Swithching Irons Can Be Dangerous (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/swithching-irons-can-dangerous-t25289.html)

sharon b 09-10-2009 08:07 PM

Mine doesn't have auto shut off , and during a recent discussion here on the board I also learned mine doesn't really shut off all the way unless it is unplugged :roll: So now I make sure it is always unplugged when I am not using it :oops:

So how is that new iron ? Giving it a good work out ?

amma 09-10-2009 08:19 PM

My new iron works great!!! :D But reading these answers reminded me about a coffee pot I had one time...supposed to shut off after 2 hours but it started to fail, too....
I think I will go with the hang a sign around my neck while I have my iron plugged in!!! I guess it isn't good to rely on anything electric to shut itself off... :?

Bevanger 09-11-2009 04:48 AM

oh my .... scary......i need a new iron someday when i can afford one, but i think i'll get one with auto shut off.

Justquilting 09-11-2009 05:00 AM

That's scary!!!
I've smoked a few irons...so I always unplug it.
( It burned a quilt I had just put the last block on ) :evil:
Don't want to say someday...I should have unplugged it.
Please don't relie on the auto shut off.

Mousie 09-11-2009 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by amma
So I get out my old iron...and I left it plugged in and on :shock: over night forgetting that it did not have this feature...and left it plugged in and on for most of yesterday, too!!

I have an iron WITH an auto-off feature and the other day it apparently didn't - shut off, I mean. DH came in to my sewing room to iron his shirt and he yelled for me to come check out the "hot smell" in my room. The iron was smokin' hot a day after I had used it.

I thought about a mnemonic device: Hang a sign from a string in the doorway that reads: Turn iron off! or something like that.

hey, what a great idea! I too, have both kinds of irons, and yup, I have come back a day later, and found the 'always on', one, still dialed on.
Great tip for us, 'forgetfuls" :D

jbsstrawberry 09-11-2009 06:10 AM

Amma!!! Nooooo leaveeee da iron on!!! LOL you're too precious to us to become scorched ya know!!!

Having very "helpful" youngins around means I ALWAYS unplug my iron. Especially since I sew upstairs and have to iron downstairs. I don't dare leave that baby plugged in!!

Rose Marie 09-11-2009 08:06 AM

Think about the Olisso iron that you leave flat and it pops up.
You could burn the house down if you went back to a regualr iron.

amma 09-11-2009 11:55 AM

I live alone and do not have animals to play with my iron, I do put it completely away when my grands or other kids are visiting...to tempting for them to want to help :roll:

LucyInTheSky 09-11-2009 12:01 PM

I always unplug mine. I heard that 40% of your electric bill is plugged in but not in use appliances (I kinda doubt it's that high) so I try to unplug most when they're not in use.

I was also raised by a worrying jewish aunt, so I can't run appliances (laundry, dishwasher) when I'm not home... I'm not sure exactly why, since I'm usually not near enough in the home to see if they explode, I just know that I CAN'T physically walk out of the house with things on... I've tried :shock:

butterflywing 09-12-2009 04:20 PM

i have my iron cord slung over one of those pulleys. there's a weight on the cord that pulls the cord down and out of the way. when i finish ironing and put it way over to the end of the board, the weight pulls the cord all the way down and reminds me to unplug. i can't turn it off because i bounced it too many times. reminder to self: irons do NOT bounce :roll: