Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-t203922.html)

QandE2010 10-22-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo (Post 5603561)
I just begin by talking about quilting and check in along the way that she understands.

Thanks for your input, gollytwo. A good way to see what their level of understanding is.

AliKat 10-22-2012 10:53 AM

I was/am the grief to many teachers in that I learn in a multiple of ways: kinesthetic [touching and manipulating things], visual, and auditory.

That's why I don't repeat myself unless necessary but rephrase it. Having samples to manipulate helps too.

ali

QandE2010 10-22-2012 12:59 PM

Alikat, I agree that samples are priceless. Thanks for sharing.

willferg 10-23-2012 06:47 AM

I think it's very hard for people who know something well to consider the perspective of someone who doesn't know the topic at all. Things they think are easy or clear often aren't. That's why not everyone is born to be a teacher!

QandE2010 10-23-2012 02:58 PM

Willferg, you are spot on.

QultingaddictUK 10-23-2012 03:15 PM

I have had to "teach" most of my working life, having been a Head Chef for over 3 decades and I start by apologising to treat them like beginners, newbies, but to bear with me as I have to ensure everyone knows the basics.

I do the same with my Patchwork classes having been to a workshop at the 1st Loch Lomond quilting exhibition in Scotland, when the Tutor starting to "assume" that we knew certain things, she realised very quickly that we didn't and kudos to her, completely changed her lesson. I took note and my first lesson is ALWAYS on how to clean and look after your sewing machine, how and when to change needles, threads etc. I am so grateful to that Lady, as my group members are now able to look after their machines.

By coincidence I went to a talk with Dawn Cameron Dick today at a local quilters group and she said that so many people say "Oh I must buy another machine, this one isn't doing what I want to do" and she replies "Look after and keep your machine, change your needles regularly, using the correct ones according to the fabric and thread you are using, isn't that what the famous saying does "It is a poor workman who blames his tools"!

One of the best sayings I have learnt is " Never assume"

TanyaL 10-23-2012 03:47 PM

Ability to attract students and the attitude of the teacher can't be seperated. At a LQS I had almost been talked into signing up for a beginners class on applique when
I asked if we brought our own machines. In a shocked voice the shop's owner said, "We don't consider machine applique to be REAL applique! When you know how to do hand applique you won't HAVE to do machine applique." What a put down! And I haven't been back to that LQS since. A different attitude might have kept me interested in other classes. Or at least in their fabric.

ube quilting 10-23-2012 03:58 PM

My life list of "I make it a policy to never/always" includes to never assume anything. period! ever!
peace

@ QuiltingaddictUK: I really like this!

"It is a poor workman who blames his tools"!

QandE2010 10-24-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 5607427)
My life list of "I make it a policy to never/always" includes to never assume anything. period! ever!
peace

@ QuiltingaddictUK: I really like this!

"It is a poor workman who blames his tools"!

You are so right @ube quilting. @quiltingaddictuk, I am going to remember the quote about the workman. @Tanya, what an unfortunate incident at your LQS. The sad part is the person that offended you will never know that a loyal customer was lost because of her thoughtlessness.