Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there something wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-something-wrong-t139162.html)

BrendaK 07-21-2011 03:39 AM

Is there something wrong with just making a quilt because you like the pattern. When I start a new quilt my DH asks, "Who gets that one"? Does it have to be for someone special? I don't have a lot of space to store quilts. It seems that he thinks that I need to give away a quilt as soon as it's done or have a time limit when it will go. Is it selfish to just want to make them? Do they always have to go? Thanks for your replies. BrendaK

donnajean 07-21-2011 03:41 AM

I have a lot of "just for me" quilts. Does hubby not collect anything?

quilticing 07-21-2011 03:42 AM

I try not to "store" my quilts - they're on display. They're artwork to me.

lindyline 07-21-2011 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
Is there something wrong with just making a quilt because you like the pattern. When I start a new quilt my DH asks, "Who gets that one"? Does it have to be for someone special? I don't have a lot of space to store quilts. It seems that he thinks that I need to give away a quilt as soon as it's done or have a time limit when it will go. Is it selfish to just want to make them? Do they always have to go? Thanks for your replies. BrendaK

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a quilt just because you like the pattern. Actually, that's the only reason any of mine have been made. Almost every quilt I thought I was going to keep has been given away.At least if you have one or two just hanging around, there's a convenient gift available when it's needed. One of my girls leaves presents until the last minute, then comes over and say "I need a present for ?SIL grandmothers 80th birthday" and magically there's one available. But, there are a couple that will never be given away. They're mine and I made them just because I can.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-21-2011 03:47 AM

Your DH sounds waaaay too practical!! He doesn't appear to "get" our love of creating.
Keep on!! :D

Lindsey 07-21-2011 03:48 AM

My dh collects computer parts .. I make quilts. I keep it untill I know who is going to get it. I like to look at them for awhile. After all It took awhile to make them. I like them to have a life before giving them away. You never know how its going to be treated.

Painiacs 07-21-2011 03:50 AM

Nah, I make quilts cause I want to! Sooner or later it will find a homel. Artist paint just because!!

yonnikka 07-21-2011 03:50 AM

Your married life is too predictable. Can you build some intrigue and mystery into your homelife? How about giving him a reply such as, "oh, it's a secret; you'll know one day..." or "I'm doing some experimentation with the colors; I don't have all the answers yet, but time will tell!"

kwhite 07-21-2011 03:52 AM

nope tell him "this one is just for me to look at" Does he have his own quilt? Maybe he would like one of his own to cuddle on the couch.

BrendaK 07-21-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
Your married life is too predictable. Can you build some intrigue and mystery into your homelife? How about giving him a reply such as, "oh, it's a secret; you'll know one day..." or "I'm doing some experimentation with the colors; I don't have all the answers yet, but time will tell!"

Married 47 years so you might be correct. I like the color answer. BrendaK